Making acai bowls at home is quick and easy, allowing you to customize the bowl to your preferences! Acai berries are naturally sweet, which pairs perfectly with a large variety of toppings like fresh fruits, granola and honey!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthy. Acai bowls are packed with antioxidants, fiber, and essential nutrients that promote overall well-being and contribute to a balanced diet.
- Refreshing. Acai bowls are loved for their refreshing and invigorating nature, making them a perfect choice for a revitalizing breakfast or snack.
- Easy to make. With the availability of prepacked acai puree or frozen acai packets, you don’t need to source fresh acai berries.
- Easy to customize. You’ll love acai bowls for their versatility, as they can be customized with a variety of toppings to suit individual preferences and dietary needs.
- Frozen acai purée. Prepacked frozen acai packets make this recipe super quick and easy!
- Banana. A ripe banana adds some creamy textures and natural sweetness.
- Frozen berries. Strawberries, blueberries or raspberries can be used to enhance the acai base flavor.
- Almond milk (or any other milk). This will thin the acai mix to a smoother consistency.
- Honey or maple syrup (optional). For added natural sweetness.
- Toppings of your choice. There are a wide range of topping combinations that perfectly compliment acai bowls. These include granola, sliced fruits, coconut flakes, chia seeds, or nuts.
How to make acai bowls
Step 1 – Thaw the frozen acai packets slightly. Remove the frozen acai packets from the freezer and let them thaw for a few minutes, just until you can break them into smaller pieces.
Step 2 – Combine acai base ingredients in a blender. Add the frozen acai, ripe banana, frozen berries, almond milk, and sweetener (optional).
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Step 3 – Blend the ingredients. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender to make sure everything is well mixed. Continue until you have a smooth and consistent texture.
Step 4 – Garnish and serve! Serve the acai base in a bowl, garnished with all of your favourite toppings!
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use prepacked puree. Frozen acai packets or prepacked acai puree is a convenient and consistent base that ensures a thick and creamy texture.
- Create your preferred consistency. Blend the acai with a small amount of liquid, such as almond milk or coconut water, gradually adding more if needed, to achieve the desired thickness.
- Add a dash of citrus. Consider adding a splash of citrus juice, such as lemon or lime, which can provide a tangy and refreshing twist to balance the sweetness of the acai.
- Try a range of variations. Experiment with a variety of toppings such as fresh fruits, granola, nuts, seeds, or coconut flakes to add texture, flavor, and visual appeal to your acai bowl
To store: Acai bowls are best enjoyed immediately to maintain their texture and freshness but can be refrigerated for up to 3 hours.
To freeze: Acai puree can be stored in an airtight container or freezer bag and placed in the freezer for several months.
- Blender. Creating the perfect consistency in your acai base requires a blender.
- Food processor. No blender? A food processor works just the same.
Frequently asked questions
Acai bowls can be a healthy choice when prepared with nutritious ingredients and consumed in moderation. Acai berries are rich in antioxidants, fiber, and essential nutrients, which can support overall well-being.
Yes, you can substitute acai powder for acai puree. Use about 1-2 tablespoons of acai powder per serving and blend it with your choice of fruits and liquid to create an acai bowl.
Absolutely! While almond milk and coconut water are commonly used, you can explore other options like soy milk, oat milk, or fruit juices to customize the flavor of your acai bowl.
You can adjust the consistency of your acai bowl based on personal preference. For a thicker and more spoonable bowl, use less liquid. If you prefer a smoother and thinner texture, add a bit more liquid while blending.
- 200 grams frozen acai puree slightly thawed
- 1 large banana ripe
- 1/2 cup berries frozen strawberries, blueberries or raspberries
- 1/2 cup almond milk or any other milk
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Remove the frozen acai puree packets from the freezer and let them thaw for a few minutes, just until you can break them into smaller pieces.
- In a blender, combine the frozen acai, ripe banana, frozen berries, almond milk, and sweetener (if using).
- Blend the ingredients until you have a smooth and creamy consistency. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Once the acai mixture is smooth, pour it into a bowl.
- Now it's time to add your favorite toppings! Sprinkle some granola over the acai base for crunchiness. Slice some fresh fruits, such as strawberries, bananas, or kiwi, and arrange them on top. You can also add coconut flakes, chia seeds, nuts, or any other toppings you prefer.