This Mexican street corn recipe, also known as elotes, is a perfect balance of smoky, tangy, and creamy flavors that tantalize the taste buds! Its simple preparation makes it a quick and accessible dish that anyone can make and everyone will enjoy!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Bursting with flavors! Mexican street corn offers a burst of delicious flavors with grilled corn, zesty lime juice, creamy dairy-free mayonnaise, and savory vegan cheese alternatives.
- Textural delight without animal products. The charred kernels provide a satisfying crunch, while the creamy sauce and cheese alternatives offer a velvety smoothness.
- Easily customizable. Whether you prefer a spicy kick with a sprinkle of chili powder or a milder version with extra lime, Mexican street corn can be easily customized to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs.
- Iconic street food experience. Enjoying Mexican street corn is not just about the taste—it’s about embracing a beloved traditional dish that captures the essence of Mexican cuisine.
- Fresh corn. The star ingredient, providing the sweet and juicy base for the dish.
- Vegan mayonnaise. Adds creaminess and helps bind the flavors together.
- Lime juice. Provides a tangy and refreshing element that balances the richness of the mayo and cheese.
- Vegan cheese (such as vegan Cotija or vegan feta). Offers a savory and salty taste, enhancing the overall flavor profile.
- Smoked paprika. Adds a smoky undertone that complements the grilled flavor of the corn.
- Chili powder. Provides a spicy kick, adding heat and depth to the dish.
- Fresh cilantro. Adds a vibrant and herbaceous note, contributing freshness and complexity.
- Garlic powder. Enhances the savory taste and adds a hint of garlic flavor.
- Salt & pepper. To taste.
- Grilled lime wedges (optional). Squeezing grilled lime over the corn before serving intensifies the citrusy flavor and adds a lovely charred aroma.
How to make Mexican street corn
Step 1 – Prepare the corn. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the husks and silk from the corn ears, leaving the stalks intact for easy handling. Place the corn on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
Step 2 – Prepare the sauce and cheese. In a small bowl, mix together the vegan mayonnaise and lime juice until well combined. In another shallow dish, combine the vegan Cotija or vegan feta cheese, smoked paprika, chili powder, fresh cilantro, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Step 3 – Combine. Once the corn is grilled, brush each ear with the vegan mayonnaise mixture, making sure to coat all sides. Roll the corn in the cheese and spice mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
Step 4 – Serve the vegan Mexican street corn immediately. Optionally, squeeze grilled lime wedges over the corn before enjoying!
Tips to make the best recipe
- Choose fresh and sweet corn. Opt for fresh corn that is sweet and juicy for the best flavor. Look for ears with plump kernels and bright green husks.
- Get the grill hot. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat before cooking the corn. A hot grill will help achieve that desirable charred and smoky flavor.
- Don’t skimp on seasonings. Be generous with the seasonings. The combination of smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt enhances the taste of the corn. Adjust the spice levels according to your preference.
- Customize to your taste. Feel free to personalize the recipe to suit your taste buds. If you enjoy extra tanginess, squeeze more lime juice over the corn. For added heat, sprinkle additional chili powder or even cayenne pepper. Make it your own!
To store: Place any leftover corn in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. Consume within 2-3 days.
To reheat: You can reheat the corn in the oven or on a stovetop skillet over medium heat until warmed through.
- Basting brush. If you want to add extra flavor to the roasted cauliflower during cooking, you can use a basting brush to apply additional glaze.
Frequently asked questions
While fresh corn is recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use canned or frozen corn as a substitute. However, be aware that the texture and taste may differ slightly from using fresh corn
Yes, you can use an indoor grill pan or a stovetop grill to cook the corn indoors. Simply preheat the grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and follow the grilling instructions accordingly.
Absolutely! If you don’t have vegan Cotija or feta cheese, you can substitute it with other vegan cheese alternatives, such as vegan Parmesan or even a creamy vegan cheese spread. Choose a cheese that complements the flavors of the dish.
To make the corn less spicy, reduce or omit the chili powder and smoked paprika. If you prefer a spicier kick, increase the amount of chili powder or add cayenne pepper for an extra heat boost.
Mexican Street Corn
- 4 ears corn fresh
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup Cotija vegan
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Remove the husks and silk from the corn ears, leaving the stalks intact for easy handling. Place the corn on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegan mayonnaise and lime juice until well combined. In another shallow dish, combine the vegan Cotija or vegan feta cheese, smoked paprika, chili powder, fresh cilantro, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Once the corn is grilled, brush each ear with the vegan mayonnaise mixture, making sure to coat all sides. Then, roll the corn in the cheese and spice mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- Serve the Mexican street corn immediately. Optionally, squeeze grilled lime wedges over the corn before enjoying.