Matcha is one of my favorite flavors when it comes to dessert, whatever it may be – a roulade, a frap, a pudding or a cheesecake, which happens to be what today’s post is about. Matcha, or Green Tea as my pale skinned brothers would know it as, has been consumed in Japan for fu*king ages due to its high antioxidant levels and weight loss/cholesterol lowing properties. More reason to stuff our faces with cheesecake! Yay!
For today’s Matcha Cheesecake recipe, I utilized Miss Matcha Green Tea powder which I stumbled across on the internet a couple of weeks ago. I usually just buy regular Matcha from Asian stores, but Miss Matcha tickled my fancy with their Ceremonial Grade Matcha made from stone ground green tea leaves that is packed with 137 times the antioxidants of regular green tea. YAS. I highly recommend trying them out, because the taste of their Matcha is noticeably superior and made me sh*t my pants in tastebud excitement. Oops. TMI.
I started off my Matcha Cheesecake with a simple-as Vegan Shortbread base, a nice change from the usual Date/Nut base which you’ll find in many raw cheesecake recipes. The actual “cheesecake” mixture is a simple combination of Vegan Cream Cheese, Soaked Cashews, Agave, Vanilla Extract, Coconut Oil and of course, Matcha. Lots of Matcha. So much of the stuff that my pee turned green. Kidding.
The final result? A delicious, creamy, (green), cruelty free Matcha Cheesecake that you don’t have to feel guilty about shoving down your gob. Unless you eat the entire thing, then yeah, feel really guilty and go for a run after. Grin.
If you’re interested in purchasing Miss Matcha for yourself, head over to their website. They sell 2 week/4 week/2 month supplies that come in cute little sachets which you can pop in your purse and bring around with you to work/school/your night time brothel job. I bought the 4 week supply and am still going through my stash. Or perhaps I could just become a dealer? Hmmm…career change?
So, friends, haters and lovers, scroll down for my Vegan Matcha Cheesecake recipe. Don’t forget to leave me a comment too. Drop it like it’s hot.
Crazy Vegan Kitchen
Creamy Matcha Cheesecake on a Vegan shortbread base.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- Shortbread Base:
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Plain Flour
- Matcha Cheesecake Topping:
- 1 7oz container Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (soaked overnight in water and then drained)
- 1/3 cup Agave Nectar
- 1/3 cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Almond/Soy Milk
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 tablespoons b][Miss Matcha Green Tea Powder [/b] (I used 2, but it depends on how strong you want your cake to be)
- Raspberries and extra Matcha, to serve
- Shortbread Base: Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line a 6 inch springform tin with baking paper on the bottom. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine Vegan Butter, Salt, Sugar, Vanilla and Flour. Using your fingertips only, cut/rub the butter into the flour until you end up with a sandy textured crumble. Press onto the base of your lined cake tin and bake for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Matcha Cheesecake Filling: In a high powered blender, blend Vegan Cream Cheese, Soaked Cashews, Agave, Coconut Oil, Almond/Soy Milk, Salt, Vanilla and Matcha. Blend on high till completely smooth.
- Once smooth, pour into cake tin and level out by shaking the tin or using a spatula to smoothen the top. Pop into the freezer for at least 4 hours, and then thaw for a few minutes before eating.
- Top with raspberries and extra match when serving.
- Storage: For a softer set cake, store in the refrigerator. For a firmer cheesecake, store in the freezer and let thaw a few minutes before consuming.