This sweet, creamy, and refreshing homemade banana ice cream recipe uses just 2 ingredients. Ready in seconds, it is the perfect way to satisfy your cravings and it’s completely dairy-free!
Ice creams are a lovely treat, but with many packed full of artificial ingredients, I prefer the homemade kind. You won’t believe how quick and easy it is to whip this up in the comfort of your own kitchen. This is a healthy, guilt-free, quick fix and you don’t even need an ice cream maker.
Why you’ll love this banana ice-cream
- Healthy. Packed with nutrient rich bananas, this is a dessert your body will thank you for.
- Diet-friendly. Whether you are vegan or prefer a gluten-free or dairy-free diet, it can always be on the menu.
- Easy peasy. No chef skills are required, with a few simple steps you’ll have delicious ice-cream with a smooth and creamy texture.
Banana ice cream doesn’t demand any fancy ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
- Bananas. You can use peeled, sliced, or even frozen bananas to make yummy ice cream.
- Vanilla extract. Optional, however, it elevates the taste and adds a touch of warmth to the recipe.
How to make homemade banana ice cream?
Step 1 – Prepare the bananas. Peel and slice the bananas and place them in a freezer safe bag or container in the freezer for at least 6 hours.
Step 2 – Blend. Place the sliced bananas into a blender with the vanilla extract. Blend the mixture until it turns smooth and creamy. Don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl to avoid uneven mixing.
Step 3 – Serve. You can either serve it immediately for a delightful soft serve experience or transfer the mixture into a container and freeze it for 2 hours to get a more firm and scoopable ice cream.
Tips and flavor variations
- Use ripe bananas. To attain a fresh, sweet and velvety texture to your ice cream, use ripe bananas.
- Serve fresh. Savor the ice cream right after blending to get that perfect soft-serve texture and the best consistency.
- Mix in yogurt or coconut cream. You can add a spoonful of yogurt during the blending process, or some coconut cream, for a little extra creaminess.
- Add some protein. This recipe works great with a scoop of protein powder too! This will allow you to experiment with a more diverse range of flavors, depending on your powder. I’m a big fan of cinnamon and peanut butter flavors.
To store and freeze: Freeze banana ice cream in an airtight container. You can store it for up to 3 months.
More healthy banana recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course! You can add mango slices, berries, or pineapple to infuse this homemade ice cream recipe with more delightful flavors.
Yes. This is a perfect base for a Ninja Creami tub. You may need to add almond milk to assist with an even consistency. Follow all instructions included with the device.
The skin of bananas turns brown when they are refrigerated, but as long as their flesh is still ripe, they will be fine!
Yes. Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, vitamin C and dietary fiber.
Banana Ice Cream
- 4 large bananas peeled, sliced & frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the frozen banana slices in a food processor or high-powered blender.
- Add the vanilla extract if desired.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- You can serve it immediately for a soft-serve consistency or transfer it to a container and freeze for a firmer ice cream.