Learn how to prepare this banana cream pie; the classic favourite can be made with ease in the comfort of your own kitchen! With a combination of fresh bananas and coconut cream, it’s the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
If you love creamy pies, this banana cream pie will be your new go-to. It’s full of creamy deliciousness yet so easy to make. This recipe is so simple and foolproof you don’t need to be a master baker to make it.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to make. All you need are some basic ingredients and a few simple steps to make this banana cream pie.
- Delicious. A perfect balance of sweetness and creamy texture will make every bite melt in your mouth and satisfy your taste buds.
- Versatile. You can serve it plain, with a plant-based whipped cream, or with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream. It’s a versatile recipe.
- A crowd pleaser. It’s a perfect crowd pleaser for every occasion. No matter how you present it, it will be a hit.
What I love the most about banana cream pie is its simplicity. It’s not complex, but it’s still incredibly delicious. A perfect dessert for any occasion, from a casual get-together to a formal dinner party.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Here is everything you’ll need to make this banana cream pie.
For the crust
- Graham cracker crumbs. To make the pie crust.
- Granulated sugar. Sweetens the crust. You can also use powdered sugar.
- Vegan butter. Melted. To bind the crust ingredients together and give it a flaky texture.
For the filling
- Bananas. Ripe and sliced. To add sweetness, flavor, and moisture to the filling.
- Granulated sugar. Or powdered sugar.
- Cornstarch. To make the filling thick.
- Salt. To balance the sweetness.
- Coconut cream. To thicken and enrich the filling.
- Non-dairy milk. Makes the filling soft and creamy. I prefer unsweetened almond milk.
- Vanilla extract. Adds flavor and aroma.
- Vegan whipped cream and sliced bananas. To garnish.
How to make banana cream pie?
Just follow these easy instructions and prepare to be amazed by the best banana cream pie ever.
Step 1 – Prepare the pie crust. Mix the pie ingredients until the pie crust batter forms the texture of wet sand. Press it into a 9-inch pie dish (greased) and bake at 350 F or 175 C for 8-10 minutes. Then, allow it to cool.
Step 2 – Prepare the bananas. In a blender, combine the ripe bananas, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Blend until a smooth consistency is formed and set aside.
Step 3 – Prepare the filling. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Then add the coconut cream and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Continue for about 2 minutes or until the mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from the heat and fold in the banana mixture. Return the saucepan to the heat and continue whisking for another 2 minutes, until the mixture resembles pudding. Remove from the heat and cool.
Step 4 – Pour the filling into the crust. After adding the filling to the crust, refrigerate for 3-4 hours until the filling has set.
Step 5 – Serve and enjoy. Apply a layer of the vegan whipped cream and decorate with sliced bananas on the top before serving. Enjoy!
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use fresh, ripe bananas. Ripe bananas not only add natural sweetness but also have a stronger banana flavor. Look for bananas with yellow peels that have brown spots.
- If your pie crust is browning too much, you can cover it with foil during baking.
- To make your whipped cream even more delicious, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Want to make this banana cream pie in different ways? Here are some good flavor variations:
- Buy a pre-made pie crust. If you don’t have graham crackers or just want a new flavor, you can also use a pre-made pie crust.
- Make it more coconutty. If you like coconut treats, use coconut milk in the filling and top with toasted coconut flakes.
- Add berries. For a more fruity pie, you can add berries in the filling and also on the top to garnish.
To store. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
To freeze. Do this before adding the whipped cream to garnish. Wrap the pie tightly in plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer-safe container to freeze for up to 2 months.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Mixing bowl. To mix the pie crust ingredients and the filling ingredients.
- Pie dish. To bake the pie crust.
- Spatula. To transfer the filling to the pie crust and spread the whipped cream on top.
More delicious dessert recipes to try
Yes, this recipe will work with any pre-bought or pre-baked pie crust.
While this recipe is specifically for Banana Cream Pie, you can adapt it to create a different fruit-flavored cream pie by replacing the bananas with another fruit puree, such as strawberries, mangoes, or berries.
Coat the bananas with lemon juice or lime juice. Add the bananas to the pie just before serving. Cover the pie with plastic wrap or foil after it is assembled.
Yes, you can make banana cream pie ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to serve.
Banana Cream Pie
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs vegan
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
For the filling
For the topping
- 1 cup vegan whipped cream
- 1/2 banana sliced
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted vegan butter. Press into a 9-inch pie dish and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 8-10 minutes. Cool.
- In a blender, combine the ripe bananas, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Then add the coconut cream and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Continue for about 2 minutes, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Remove from the cream mixture from the heat and fold in the banana mixture. Return the saucepan to the heat and continue whisking for another 2 minutes or until the mixture resembles pudding. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Pour filling into crust. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours until set.
- Add the vegan whipped cream and decorate with sliced bananas on the top before serving.