This vegan banana bread is so moist, fluffy, and tender, you won’t believe it has no eggs or dairy! Made with simple ingredients, this simple quick bread turns out perfect every single time!
Vegan Banana Bread
If you ever find yourself with leftover brown bananas, it means just one thing- You NEED to make some banana bread. It’s like the unwritten rule of overripe bananas that they need to be turned into a loaf of banana bread.
Now, not every banana bread is created equal and some can be quite dry, crumbly, and not even sweet, and some can be as dense as a rock. Luckily, I’ve got you covered with the best ever vegan banana bread. No eggs and no dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture of the bread is moist and fluffy in the middle with a gorgeous tender crumb. The bread is sweet and with a subtle banana flavor, without being overpowering.
This is the kind of vegan banana bread that even non-vegans are obsessed with- It’s so easy to make and uses pantry staple ingredients!
How do you make vegan banana bread?
- Flour– All purpose flour or wholewheat flour. The latter will yield a slightly more dense loaf, but still be moist in the middle.
- Baking powder– Holds the bread together, and gives it some rise and depth.
- Cinnamon– A must for any good banana bread recipe.
- Bananas– Try to use overripe bananas, as they will yield a sweeter and extra moist loaf.
- Oil– Any neutral flavored oil can be used. I used vegetable oil, but sunfloewer oil or safflower oil can be used.
- Brown sugar– Keeps the bread softer in the middle, while tender on the outside.
- Chocolate chips– Optional, but highly recommended!
Start by mixing together your flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl and setting it aside. In a large mixing bowl, add the bananas, oil, and brown sugar and oil, until combined. Gently add the dry ingredients until combined. Fold through the chocolate chips at the end.
Now, transfer the banana bread batter into a lined loaf pan and bake at 180C/350F for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove the banana bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan completely, before slicing and serving.
Tips to make the best simple vegan banana bread
- It is better off to go heavier on the mashed bananas than not using enough. I used 3 large ones, but you can use four small ones if that is all you have on hand. Just note that you may need to bake your bread for several minutes more.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to spread over the top of the bread.
- If you find your banana bread is browning too fast on top, cover it with tin foil around the 20 minute mark, and continue cooking it as normal.
Storing and freezing banana bread
- To store: Banana bread is best stored in the refrigerator, covered., It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place slices of the bread in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Watch How To Make It Here!
More vegan baked goods to try
Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 large bananas mashed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon oil vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon, and mix until combine. In a separate bowl, add the mashed banana, sugar, and oil, and whisk together until smooth. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the banana bread batter into the lined loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, ort until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and let it cool completely, before slicing and serving.