Ho ho hoes in different area codes. Hello everyone! Tis’ the season to gorge like the world is ending, and what better way to leave this planet than with these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes. In a world of molecular gastronomy, fancy flavors and wild and wacky desserts, I like to bring myself back down to earth with some quality, old fashioned cupcake goodness. Vanilla cupcakes are one of my Dad’s absolute simple pleasures, and who can blame him? Moist cake, check. Mounds of Vanilla Bean frosting, check. 10lbs heavier on the scale, check.
In the spirit of Christmas, I’ve turned some frosting green and piled it on like a fuc*ing Christmas Tree, but feel free to leave your Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes plain, white and back to basics. The cake component of this Vanilla Cupcake recipe is an adaptation of Isa Chandra’s Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes recipe – one of the best ones I’ve tried over the years. If you’re looking for a Chocolate Cupcake recipe, click here.
The key to soft and tender crumbed cupcakes is none other than Pastry or Cake Flour. Cake flour is key for anyone who is looking to produce a tender, soft cupcake that doesn’t feel tough or dense. If you can’t find Pastry or Cake Flour, replacing 2 tablespoons of flour with Cornstarch will do the trick.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
When it comes to my Vanilla Frosting for these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes, all you need is Vegan Butter or Margarine, a touch of Shortening, Icing Sugar, Vanilla Bean Paste and a good ol’ whipping. Chuck this into a piping bag and go crazy when packing the frosting on. There is no such thing as too much frosting in my opinion.
Enough talking – if you’re looking for a delicious, tender Vegan Vanilla Cupcake recipe, the search has ended here. Scroll down to grab the full recipe and don’t forget to say hello on Instagram if you try this or any other recipe off this blog. Till next time, Seasons Yeetings!!
The Best Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup Soy Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups Cake Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1//2 cup + 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 250 grams Vegan Butter
- 100 grams Vegetable Shortening 3 oz
- 2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 tsp Food Colouring of Your Choice optional
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the Soy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar in a bowl or measuring jug and leave to sit for 15 minutes.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, use a handheld mixer and cream the Vegan Butter and Sugar until light, fluffy and aerated.
- Alternate adding in the dry flour mixture and your prepared Soy Milk, mixing well after each addition and ending with an addition of dry ingredients.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until light golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cupcakes comes out dry.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool down completely.
- To prepare frosting, combine Vegan Butter and Shortening in a mixing bowl and beat till light and fluffy with an electric mixer - about 3 minutes.
- Add Icing Sugar and Vanilla Bean Paste/Extract/Seeds and continue mixing for another minute. Icing should be light, fluffy and delicately sweet.
- Transfer icing to a piping bag and pipe a generous mound on each cupcake.
- Decorate as you wish and then leave cupcakes in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm the icing up before serving.
- Cupcakes are best served at room temperature.