Learn how to prepare this refreshing and flavor-packed cucumber avocado salad recipe in less than 5 minutes. Made with simple ingredients, it’s healthy, nutritious and super easy to make!
I love making avocado cucumber salad, not only because of how good avocados are for you, but also because it’s so simple and delicious. It’s light, refreshing, full of wonderful textures and goes with any meal! It’s also substantial enough to be eaten by itself.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to make. This simple salad is ready in just a few minutes.
- Healthy and refreshing. Made with fresh avocado, cucumber and leafy greens, this salad is packed with vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats.
- Versatile. It’s great by itself or a perfect side dish. I usually have it with some fried tofu but it can also be added to wraps, sandwiches, and bowls.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this avocado salad.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
- Avocados. Peeled, pitted, and sliced for a creamy texture.
- Cucumber. Peeled into ribbons, adds a burst of freshness.
- Arugula. A peppery addition to complement the salad.
- Baby beet greens. Tender, leafy greens.
- Pine nuts. Adds some buttery, nutty texture to the mix.
- Lemon juice. Balances the flavors and adds a zesty touch. You can also use an equivalent amount of lime juice if you prefer.
- Extra virgin olive oil. To help dress and bind the salad.
- Salt and black pepper. Just a pinch, to taste.
How to make cucumber avocado salad?
No cooking here! Just combine and serve.
Step 1: Prepare the veggies. Wash and thinly slice the cucumber. Peel and slice the avocado. Rinse the baby beet greens and arugila under cold water and then pat them dry.
Step 2: Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Step 3: Assemble the salad. In a large mixing bowl, add cucumber, avocado & leafy greens. Drizzle the dressing over the top and toss well. Finally, sprinkle the pine nuts over the top to garnish. I used pre-roasted pine nuts.
Step 4: Serve. Serve immediately to enjoy the best flavor.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Slice the avocado evenly. This will help ensure that the salad is evenly coated with the lemon juice and that each bite is packed with flavor. Make sure they are ripe avocados.
- Slice the cucumber into ribbons. Using a vegetable peeler to finely slice your cucumber helps the salad achieve a leafier texture.
- Serve the salad immediately. Avocado can brown quickly, even with the lemon juice, so it’s best to serve the salad immediately. If you need to chill the salad for later, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or foil.
- Customize as you go. The beauty of a salad like this is that it’s completely customizable. The leafy greens can be substituted for whatever you have on hand, such as other lettuce, baby spinach etc. I also love to add some chili flakes for a bit of a spicy kick.
To store. In an airtight container, leftover salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
To freeze. Freezing avocado salad is not recommended due to changes in texture upon thawing. Frozen avocados tend to become mushy and lose their creamy consistency.
More healthy salad recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, avocado salad is healthy as it provides many essential nutrients.
It’s best to assemble the salad just before serving to prevent wilting of the greens and maintain the texture of the ingredients. However, you can prepare the dressing in advance.
Chopped almonds, walnuts, or sunflower seeds can be good alternatives.
Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently until they turn golden brown. Be cautious, as they can burn quickly.
Cucumber Avocado Salad
- 1 large cucumber finely sliced
- 2 avocados sliced
- 2 cups baby beet greens
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Wash and thinly slice the cucumber. Peel and slice the avocado. Rinse the baby beet greens and arugila under cold water and then pat them dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cucumber, avocado & leafy greens. Drizzle the dressing over the top and combine well. Finally, sprinkle the pine nuts over the top to garnish.
- Serve immediately to enjoy the best flavor.