Am I the only one who prefers blondies to brownies? Don’t get me wrong, I love a good fudge brownie just as much as the other gal, but if you’re looking for a shortcut to my heart, blondies take the cake. Pre vegan or plant based days, I had my go to blondie recipe – one that was fudgy, gooey, perfumed with hints of caramel from Dark Muscavado Sugar and crackly on top – the perfect blondie! Now if only I could create The Ultimate Chewy Vegan Blondies.
I haven’t made the recipe in eons, but I figured it wouldn’t be too hard to veganise. The base ingredients are easily swapped out for vegan alternatives – Vegan Butter instead of Dairy Butter, Vegan Milk/Dark Chocolate instead of regular. The only thing that perplexed me is what I was going to use as an egg replacement in my Ultimate Chewy Vegan Blondies.
As much as flaxseed meal is my usual go-to for egg replacements, I wanted something that would really aid in retaining moisture and fudginess for these chewy blondies. I went ahead and tried using mashed Sweet Potato to replace the 1 egg my recipe called for, and lo and behold – it actually worked! Sweet Potato already contains notes of caramel, which added to the recipe without making it taste like…well, sweet potato.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
And so I present to you, these Ultimate Chewy Vegan Blondies. All you really need is Vegan Butter, Coconut Oil, Dark Brown Muscavado Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Sea Salt, Plain Flour and a little mashed Sweet Potato. Into the batter goes a hefty amount of chopped Vegan Dark AND Milk Chocolate, and straight into the oven it goes for a mere 25 minutes. Really fu*king easy, and really god damn delicious! I won’t ramble on anymore, so scroll down to grab the full recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
- 3.5 oz Vegan Butter
- 1 tablespoon Melted Coconut Oil
- 200 grams Dark Brown Muscavado Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Sweet Potato Mashed
- 2 tablespoons Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 1/3 cups Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup Pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius /350F. Line an 7x7 inch baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt Vegan Butter, Coconut Oil and Dark Brown Sugar until Butter is melted. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk in Sea Salt, Vanilla Extract, Mashed Sweet Potato and Non Dairy Milk. Whisk till smooth.
- Stir in All Purpose Flour until mixed evenly, and then tip in chopped Chocolate. Stir to disperse.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Leave to cool in tin for 1 hour and then cut into squares.