Am I the only one who prefers blondies to brownies? Don’t get me wrong, I love a good fudge brownie just as much as the other gal, but if you’re looking for a shortcut to my heart, blondies take the cake. Pre vegan or plant based days, I had my go to blondie recipe – one that was fudgy, gooey, perfumed with hints of caramel from Dark Muscavado Sugar and crackly on top – the perfect blondie! Now if only I could create The Ultimate Chewy Vegan Blondies.
I haven’t made the recipe in eons, but I figured it wouldn’t be too hard to veganise. The base ingredients are easily swapped out for vegan alternatives – Vegan Butter instead of Dairy Butter, Vegan Milk/Dark Chocolate instead of regular. The only thing that perplexed me is what I was going to use as an egg replacement in my Ultimate Chewy Vegan Blondies.
As much as flaxseed meal is my usual go-to for egg replacements, I wanted something that would really aid in retaining moisture and fudginess for these chewy blondies. I went ahead and tried using mashed Sweet Potato to replace the 1 egg my recipe called for, and lo and behold – it actually worked! Sweet Potato already contains notes of caramel, which added to the recipe without making it taste like…well, sweet potato.
And so I present to you, these Ultimate Chewy Vegan Blondies. All you really need is Vegan Butter, Coconut Oil, Dark Brown Muscavado Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Sea Salt, Plain Flour and a little mashed Sweet Potato. Into the batter goes a hefty amount of chopped Vegan Dark AND Milk Chocolate, and straight into the oven it goes for a mere 25 minutes. Really fu*king easy, and really god damn delicious! I won’t ramble on anymore, so scroll down to grab the full recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Crazy Vegan Kitchen
Serves 12 Blondies
A delicious Chewy Vegan Blondie with hints of caramel and studded with Vegan Dark and Milk Chocolate Chunks. Ready in under 30 minutes.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3.5 oz/100g Vegan Butter
- 1 tablespoon Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 packed cup/200g Dark Brown Muscavado Sugar
- Large pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Mashed Sweet Potato
- 2 tablespoons Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 1/3 cup/165g All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup chopped Vegan Dark and Milk Chocolate
- 1/3 Chopped Pecans/Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius /350F. Line an 7x7 inch baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt Vegan Butter, Coconut Oil and Dark Brown Sugar until Butter is melted. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk in Sea Salt, Vanilla Extract, Mashed Sweet Potato and Non Dairy Milk. Whisk till smooth.
- Stir in All Purpose Flour until mixed evenly, and then tip in chopped Chocolate. Stir to disperse.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Leave to cool in tin for 1 hour and then cut into squares.