If I could marry someone different, I am pretty sure I would marry a Jalapeño Pepper. I can already picture my wedding photos, me and my Jalapeño swimming in salsa, cuddling in a warm bed of nachos….Okay never mind. All I’m trying to say is, I love Jalapeños! (And apparently our little kitten Pudding does too!)
So what could be better than these amazing Vegan Cheddar Biscuits, biting with jalapeno and studded with little nuggets of sun dried tomato and vegan cheddar chunks? Nothing!!!!! That’s what could be better…nothing! My wife made a delicious little batch of these and I had one straight out of the oven, slathered in vegan butter. A-ma-zing. These little fellas were cheesy, fluffy, spicy and slightly sweet at the same time.
The original recipe comes from Minimalist Baker, but my wife scaled it down and adapted it to her own taste by adding sun dried tomato, vegan cheddar on top of the nutritional yeast, and a few extra spices and flavorings for some kick. All in all, a kick ass biscuit! I could even imagine drowning them in Maple Syrup (I may do that with the leftover biscuits tomorrow) for a spicy-sweet treat.
I’ll leave you with some preparation and final product photos that my wife has taken for you to drool at! Try this recipe out, your non-vegan friends won’t even be able to tell the difference because I sure couldn’t either!
Feel free to adapt the recipe even further. I can imagine cilantro adding a nice, herby touch to these biscuits, vegan mozzarella instead of cheddar, or even different types of peppers on top of the Jalapeños! Till next time 🙂
That’s it for now! Feel free to comment, make suggestions, or ask questions on our brand new comments board below (just installed, heh!). If you’re a food blogger, you’re welcomed to share your recipes as well! Cheers!
Crazy Vegan Kitchen
30 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Rice Milk
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Pastry Flour
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Caster Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Nuttelex Vegan Spread
- 2 Tbsp Finely Diced Bottled Jalapeno
- 2 Tbsp Finely Diced Sun-dried Tomato
- 1/4 cup diced Vegan Cheddar
- Extra sun dried tomato, cheddar and dried Parsley for topping before baking
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees Celsius. Line a baking tray with non-stick paper. Set aside.
- Add apple cider vinegar to rice milk, whisk and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and caster sugar together in a bowl. Add cold Nuttelex vegan spread into the dry ingredients and immediately place the entire bowl into the freezer for 15 minutes to further harden the vegan butter up.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the freezer and use fingers or a pastry cutter to combine the Nuttelex into the flour mixture until only small pieces remain and it looks like sand. Work quickly so the butter doesn’t get too warm.
- Then add jalapeños, sun dried tomato and vegan cheddar chunks and toss.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and, using a fork, stir gently while pouring in the almond milk mixture 1/4 cup at a time. You may not need all of it. Stir until just slightly combined – it will be sticky.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface, dust the top with a bit of flour and then very gently turn the dough over on itself 5-6 times – hardly kneading.
- Form into a 1-inch thick disc, handling as little as possible.
- Cut dough into four equal portions and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Next brush the tops with a bit more of melted non-dairy butter and gently press a small divot in the center using two fingers. This will also help them rise evenly, so the middle won’t form a dome.
- Sprinkle with additional grated cheese, sun-dried tomato and dried parsley.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until fluffy and slightly golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Let remaining biscuits cool completely before storing them in an airtight container or bag. Will keep for a couple of days at room temperature.
Notes & Other Shyt You Need To Know
I use Cheezly Vegan Cheddar