Run out of yeast? Not to fret, these vegan cinnamon rolls are your answer! Fluffy and delicious cinnamon rolls made with NO yeast and NO butter!
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls- NO yeast!
If there is one dessert or sweet breakfast I could eat for the rest of my life, it would be cinnamon rolls. When I first went vegan, they were the first recipe I worked hard on developing, and friends, this one is a winner.
Why you need to make this recipe STAT!
- NO YEAST. As the name suggests, this recipe has no yeast in it. Don’t fret though, these babies are every bit as doughy and fluffy as they should be!
- NO DAIRY. These are also dairy free! We swap out the butter and milk or non-dairy options, and quite frankly, they taste even better.
- 20 MINUTES. 99% of cinnamon rolls recipes would call for 1-2 hours MINIMUM rest time. Not these ones- They take 20 minutes to make, and probably 20 seconds to polish off.
The texture is fluffy, soft, and doughy in the middle, with a light and tender crumb. The rolls are sweet and full of cinnamon flavor, you won’t be able to stop at one!
How do you make vegan cinnamon rolls?
For the rolls
- Milk of choice– I used soy milk, but any plant based milk can be used.
- Apple cider vinegar– Mixed with the milk to create a vegan buttermilk.
- Vanilla extract– A touch of vanilla flavor.
- Vegetable oil– Any neutral flavored, like canola, safflower, and avocado.
- Pastry flour– While all purpose flour also works, pastry flour yields a lighter crumb and a fluffier filling.
- Sugar– White sugar or organic white sugar.
- Baking powder and baking soda– A combination of both leavening agents helps them rise and become fluffy.
- Salt– Just a pinch to bring out the sweetness of all the other ingredients.
For the Filling
- Sugar– White, brown, or coconut sugar.
- Cinnamon– A must for any good cinnamon roll.
- Vegan butter– Unsalted and from a block. If you can’t find vegan butter, you can also use margarine.
For the glaze
- Powdered sugar– Sifted to ensure there are no clumps throughout.
- Vanilla extract– Gives a light vanilla flavor.
- Water– To thin it out. You can also use unsweetened almond milk.
Start by making the dough. In a small jug or bowl, combine the milk with vinegar and whisk until combined. Let it sit for 15 minutes to curdle. Add the vanilla extract and oil and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and set aside. Next, add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well, until it forms a soft dough.
Now, lightly flour a kitchen surface. Transfer the dough onto it and gently roll it out into a rectangular shape. Spread with the softened vegan butter, followed by the cinnamon and sugar. Roll the dough, jelly style, before slicing it into 8 pieces. Transfer the un-cooked cinnamon rolls into a greased 9 x 4-inch baking dish and bake at 200C/400F for 15-18 minutes, until golden.
Finally, remove the cinnamon rolls from the oven and prepare the glaze. Drizzle over the top and let them cool for 15 minutes, before serving.
Tips to make the best cinnamon rolls
- If your dough is too wet, add a little extra pastry flour.
- For a thicker glaze, use little to no water. If it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Do not overbake the rolls, as they continue to cook as they are cooling down.
Storing and freezing no yeast cinnamon rolls
- To store: Cinnamon rolls should be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place leftover rolls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Microwave the rolls for 30 seconds or warm them up in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for 7 minutes.
More vegan breakfast recipes to try
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls (No yeast)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 6 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 3/4 cups Pastry Flour
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Sugar mixed together
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Vegan Butter softened
For Vegan Icing Sugar Glaze:
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 tablespoons Water enough to form a Glaze consistency
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F and line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a measuring jug, combine the Soy Milk and Apple Cider. Whisk and leave to sit for 15 minutes, for it to curdle. Next, whisk the vanilla extract and oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sieve Pastry Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt. Create a well in the middle and pour in wet mixture. Combine gently to form a soft dough. Use a little more Pastry Flour if if the dough is too wet (this is highly dependant on the quality of your flour and the humidity in the air). What you're looking for is a soft Biscuit Dough consistency.
- Flour your counter and place your dough onto it. Roll into a rectangle measuring 10x10 inches,and spread softened Vegan Butter all over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle liberally with your Cinnamon Sugar mixture. Roll your dough jelly roll style, and then seal the ends. Cut into 8 pieces to form 8 Cinnamon Rolls.
- Place rolls about an inch apart on your prepared baking tray. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- Whilst baking, prepare Vegan Icing Sugar Glaze by whisking all ingredients together with enough water to make a glaze.
- Once you remove your rolls from the oven, immediately drizzle with your icing sugar glaze. Let cool for 15 minutes before enjoying.