This recipe for Trader Joe’s pancake bread has the same flavor and texture but it’s made at home! Bonus? It’s completely vegan and requires minimal prep!
Copycat Vegan Trader Joe’s Pancake Bread Recipe
When I first tried the pancake bread from Trader Joe’s, I knew I had to recreate it. The concept is pure genius! Whenever you crave pancakes, skip the extensive process and have it from a loaf!
I love having a slice of this for breakfast, for a snack, or even a comforting dessert. It has deliciously tender texture and the best part is that it is completely vegan! No eggs, no dairy.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
For the bread
- Sugar – Brown or white can be used.
- Vegan butter – Use butter from a block, not a spread. This will help the bread remain fluffy and tender.
- Maple syrup – You can also use agave nectar or coconut syrup.
- Pure vanilla extract- A must for any good quick bread.
- Maple extract- Optional, but adds a lovely maple flavor.
- Soy milk – Or any other plant based milk.
- Apple cider vinegar- Reacts with the soy milk to create mock buttermilk.
- Coconut cream– Replaces any need for fat.
- All purpose flour– Also known as white flour. You can use white whole wheat flour if you prefer.
- Cornstarch– Holds the loaf together.
- Baking soda and baking powder– A combination of both leavening agents helps keep the quick bread.
- Salt– Just a pinch, to balance out all the sweet flavors.
For crumb topping
- All Purpose Flour- White or wholewheat.
- Melted vegan butter– As this is for the crumb topping, you can use vegan butter from a tub. Vegan margarine can also be used.
- Brown and white sugar– A combination of the two sugars keep the exterior tender and the middle nice and soft.
- Cinnamon– A must for any good crumb topping.
How do you make pancake bread?
Step 1 – Prepare the wet ingredients. Start by adding the sugar, melted butter, maple syrup, vanilla and maple extract, milk of choice, apple cider vinegar, and coconut cream into a large mixing bowl. Whisk very well, until smooth. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes, for it to slightly curdle.
Step 2 – Prepare the dry ingredients. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. After 10 minutes, gently fold through the dry ingredients into the wet.
Step 3 – Bake and prepare the crumb topping. Now, pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 20 minutes. While the bread is baking, prepare the crumb topping. Combine all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together until a crumbly texture remains.
Step 4 – Add the crumb topping. Remove the bread from the oven and sprinkle the crumb topping over the top of the loaf. Place back in the oven and cook for a further 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean and the crumb is golden brown.
Step 5 – Cool and serve. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 20 minutes, before carefully removing it from the pan and placing it onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with maple syrup.
Tips to make the best pancake bread
- If you find the crumb topping is becoming too brown, you can cover the loaf pan with tin foil and continue cooking it until it is done.
- Do not overbake the bread as it will continue to cook as it is cooling down.
- For pancake muffins, you can bake the batter in a muffin tin. Follow the same instructions but transfer the batter into a 12-count muffin tin. Bake the muffins for 10 minutes, before adding the crumb topping and cooking for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Use a rubber spatula to help remove all pancake mix from the mixing bowl while pouring into the baking tin.
Storing and freezing vegan pancake bread
- To store: Pancake bread can be stored at room temperature, covered. They will keep well for up to 3 days. If you’d like the bread to keep longer, store it in the fridge for up to a week.
- To freeze: Place leftover bread in a ziplock bag or airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
- BANANA MILKSHAKE
- ULTIMATE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- THE ULTIMATE BAKED VEGAN CHEESECAKE (NUT-FREE)
- VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY CUPS
- VEGAN MATCHA TIRAMISU (GREEN TEA TIRAMISU)
Copycat Trader Joe’s Pancake Bread
For Crumble Topping:
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour 35g
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter melted, 30g
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp White Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Extra Maple Syrup for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 325°F/160c. Lightly grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan and line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine, Sugar, Melted Vegan Butter, Maple Syrup, Vanilla, Maple Extract, Soy Milk, Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Cream. Whisk and leave for 10 minutes. In another bowl, sieve Flour, Cornstarch, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients in. Gently fold just enough to combine, don’t overmix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make the crumble topping.
- Whisk together the Flour, Brown Sugar, White Sugar and Cinnamon. Work in the softened butter with your fingertips until a coarse crumble forms.
- Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over the bread after 20 minutes. Continue to bake for another 55-60 minutes (depending on your oven), until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes before taking it out of the pan. Cool completely before slicing.