Learn how to prepare these wonderful oatmeal bars using simple ingredients. These delicious chocolaty bars are a quick snack or breakfast for those busy mornings. Prepare them in advance for a guilt-free, healthy quick fix!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy. It’s easy to whip up a batch of oat bars with a few simple ingredients and minimal preparation.
- Healthy. Oats are full of fiber, minerals, vitamins and low in calories, making this recipe super nutritious. A perfect snack or breakfast option that keeps you energized and satisfied throughout the day.
- Delicious. Oatmeal crust loaded with chocolate fudge filling give these oat bars a delicious flavor and texture.
- Budget-friendly. These are made using only affordable and easily available ingredients.
For oatmeal crust and topping
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
- Oat flour. Can be purchased or made by simply blending rolled oats in the food processor until a flour forms.
- Rolled oats. Also called old fashioned oats.
- Salt. To taste.
- Vanilla extract. To help build the flavor profile of the oats.
- Agave nectar. A natural sweetener to further balance the flavors.
- Coconut oil. Melted, to assist with binding.
Chocolate fudge filling
- Vegan dark chocolate. Use any of your favorite vegan chocolates.
- Agave nectar. Or maple syrup for additional sweetness.
- Sea salt. To taste.
- Instant espresso. You can also use regular instant coffee.
- Coconut oil. Melted.
- Vanilla extract. Enhances the flavor of all the ingredients.
How to make oatmeal bars
Step 1 – Prepare a baking tray. Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
Step 2 – Mix all the ingredients. Mix all the ingredients for the oatmeal crust and topping in a bowl.
Step 3 – Freeze the base. Now, add ⅔ of the oatmeal mixture to the lined baking tray and press well to ensure the mixture doesn’t fall apart when you cut the bars after freezing. Put the lined baking tray in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Step 4 – Prepare chocolate filling. In a microwave safe bowl, mix the chocolate filling ingredients. Microwave for 30 seconds or until everything is melted and smooth. Stir to combine.
Step 5 – Set the bars and serve. Pour the chocolate filling on the chilled oatmeal crust. Add the remaining ⅓ coconut crust mixture on the top. Freeze for 1 hour, cut into bars and serve!
Tips to make the best recipe
- Avoid quick oats. Don’t use quick oats for this recipe as they do not have the same binding properties as rolled oats.
- Avoid over mixing. Over mixing can cause the oats to break down and become mushy, resulting in a less than ideal texture. Mix the ingredients until they are just combined.
- Apply pressure to the base. When spreading the batter in the baking tray, press it firmly, so the bars hold together and don’t crumble.
To store: You can store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To freeze. Put in an airtight container or freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
More deliciously wholesome snack recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Oatmeal Crust and Topping:
- Line a 8×8 inch baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the oatmeal crust and topping. Once well mixed, press 2/3 of the mixture into the base of your lined tin. Make sure to press the mixture in firmly so it doesn't crumble when you attempt to cut the final product.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes. Keep the remaining 1/3 of the mixture aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine dark chocolate, agave, sea salt, instant espresso and melted coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until everything is smooth and melted. Add vanilla extract to chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour chocolate fudge mixture onto your chilled oatmeal crust, and then sprinkle the remaining Oatmeal mixture evenly on top.
- Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into squares or bars. Enjoy!