These chickpea blondies are soft, gooey, and crisp around the edges, you won’t believe they are flourless! No eggs and no butter needed, they need just one blender or bowl to whip up!
Whenever I’m craving a cozy vegan dessert, my favorite recipes to make are brownies, cosmic brownies, and these chickpea blondies.
If there is one food that is extremely versatile and healthy, it would definitely be chickpeas. They are great in savory dishes, like soups, stews, and curries. They taste great in salads or made into a dip. My favorite way to use them though is to hide them in desserts. I’ve made a cookie dough dip and chocolate chip cookies with them, but my favorite use for them is in blondies!
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
What are chickpea blondies?
Chickpea blondies are essentially a variation of classic blondies, but instead using a combination of chickpeas and peanut butter to replace any need for butter or oil.
The texture is ooey, gooey, and almost fudgy, with crisp edges. They are sweet and with a subtle peanut butter flavor, without being overpowering. And oh, don’t let the chickpeas in the recipe fool you- You will NOT be able to taste them at all!
I brought these to the office the other day and shared them with my colleagues and NO ONE believed me when I said that there were chickpeas in them!
How do you make chickpea blondies?
- Chickpeas– Also known as garbanzo beans. Use a no added salt variety, if possible.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter. You can use any nut or seed butter, like almond butter or tahini.
- Maple syrup– Gives the blondies extra sweetness, and a gooey center.
- Coconut sugar– Any granulated sweetener can be used. Brown sugar is another fabulous alternative.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good baked good!
- Oat flour– Either store bought or you can make your own. Be sure to use certified gluten free oats if you’d like these blondies to be gluten free.
- Baking powder and baking soda– A combination of the two gives the blondies some stability and rise.
- Salt– You can omit this if your chickpeas have a little salt added to them.
- Chocolate chips– Either vegan chocolate chips or a chopped up chocolate bar.
Start by adding all your ingredients into a food processor. Next, process it very well, until the chickpeas have been broken down and a smooth batter remains. Add in the chocolate/chocolate chips and pulse once more.
Now, transfer the batter into a lined 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake the blondies for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Let the blondies cool in the pan completely, before slicing into bars.
Tips to make the best vegan chickpea blondies
- These blondies are extremely gooey. If you’d like them to be thicker and more sturdy, you can bake them for an extra 10 minutes. Alternatively, refrigerate them once they are cooled, and they will thicken even more.
- You can replace the chickpeas with white beans or navy beans. The latter two actually have a milder flavor, and will not change the texture much at all.
- Feel free to fold through some walnuts or pecans for some added crunch.
Storing and freezing flourless chickpea blondies
- To store: Blondies can keep at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 3 days. If you’d like them to keep longer, store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
Watch how to make it
- 1 tin Chickpeas drained and rinsed (420g/14oz Tin)
- 1/2 cup Peanut butter or any nut/seed butter of choice
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup 65g
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar 200g
- 1/3 cup Oat Flour 50g
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180c/350F. Line a 8x8 inch baking pan with non-stick parchment and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except for the Dark Chocolate Chunks. Process until smooth. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes for a fudgey Blondie, or 35 minutes for a cakier blondie.
- Remove blondies from oven and leave to cool thoroughly before cutting.
Talk Back To Me