Learn how to make shamrock shakes at home with just a few simple ingredients. This easy copycat minty treat is super refreshing and can now be enjoyed all year round!
Minty drinks are the star recipes for the summer heat but are equally as enjoyable in the cooler months! You’ll love this recipe if you’ve tried a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake around St. Patrick’s Day and now you can enjoy this green delight whenever you like.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. From start to finish, the recipe just takes a few minutes and simple ingredients.
- Delicious. This thick and creamy drink with balanced sweetness is simply irresistible.
- Refreshing. The refreshing flavor is like a cool breeze on your tongue; perfect for a hot day.
- Easy to customize. You can add your own toppings, like chocolate syrup and sprinkles, to make it more special.
What I love the most about shamrock shakes is their refreshing mint flavor and how easy they are to customise at home. I prefer them super thick!
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
You’ll need just basic ingredients to make the perfect shamrock shakes at home. Here is all you need:
- Vegan vanilla ice cream. Adds creaminess and sweetness. Either store-bought or homemade.
- Non-dairy milk. Thins out the shake and helps spread the minty flavor. I prefer almond milk.
- Mint extract. Gives the shake its signature mint flavor.
- Green food coloring. Optional for a bit of fun.
- Vegan whipped cream. Adds a fluffy and creamy topping.
- Maraschino cherries or chocolate shavings. To garnish.
How to make shamrock shakes?
Making the classic shamrock shakes at home is easier than you might even think. A simple 3-step process and a delicious shake will be ready to enjoy!
Step 1 – Blend the ingredients. Combine the ice cream, milk, peppermint extract, and food coloring (if using) in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add more milk or ice cream to achieve desired consistency.
Step 2 – Transfer the shake to the glasses and garnish. Pour the shake into glasses. Top with whipped cream, cherries, or chocolate shavings.
Step 3 – Enjoy. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use real mint extract, not peppermint extract. Peppermint extract has a stronger flavor that can overpower the other flavors in the shake. Mint extract will get you closer to the McDonald’s taste.
- Add just enough green food coloring to get the desired shade of green. Too much food coloring can make the shake taste artificial.
- Avoid overblending, as it can make the shake watery. Blend the shake until it is smooth and creamy but not so long that it becomes thin.
- For the best taste of your shake, always use fresh toppings.
Want to experiment with different flavors? Here are some of the best options:
- Use different ice cream flavors. Vanilla ice cream is the traditional choice, but you could also use chocolate ice cream, mint chocolate chip ice cream, or even green tea ice cream.
- Add fruits. Banana, kiwi-fruit, or even avocado would all be a delicious and nutritious addition to your shamrock shake.
- Try different toppings. In addition to the traditional toppings, you can also use other toppings, like crushed Oreos, sprinkles, or candy hearts.
To store. Put the leftover shake in an airtight container to store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To freeze. You can freeze it for up to a month, but it’s not recommended. The taste and texture will not remain the same after freezing.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Blender. To prepare a smooth shake by blending all the ingredients.
More refreshing drink recipes to try
A small shamrock shake provides around 460 calories at McDonald’s. This plant-based version is lower in calories.
If you prefer not to use food coloring, you can achieve a natural green color by adding spinach or kale leaves to your shake. Simply blend a small handful of fresh, washed greens with the other ingredients until the desired green hue is achieved.
This recipe is completely vegan. You can ensure your ingredients are also gluten-free by checking their labels and looking for a gluten-free certification.
- 2 cups vegan ice cream vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/4 cup vegan whipped cream to garnish
- 2 Maraschino cheeries
- 1 drop green food coloring optional
- Blend ice cream, non-dairy milk, mint extract, and green food coloring until smooth.
- Adjust consistency and taste
- Pour into milkshake glasses
- Top with whipped cream and a cherry and enjoy!