Yes, you read that right…after a long 2 year wait, I’ve got another god damn Vegan Tiramisu recipe to share with the world! About 2 years ago, I posted a recipe for my Vegan Tiramisu and people went crazy for it (even those devil omnivores!). It’s probably one of the recipes I’m most proud of, and so it was only a matter a time that I made a variation of it. This time round, I’ve switched the recipe up slightly to create a Vegan Matcha Tiramisu, or Green Tea Tiramisu for those of you who aren’t familiar with hipster terminology.
Matcha has got to be one of my favourite dessert flavours, even before it became a favourite of douchebag bearded men all over the world. For my Vegan Matcha Tiramisu recipe, I infuse not just the Vegan Mascarpone Cream with Matcha Powder, but also the Sponge Cake and the Soaking Syrup. Triple Matcha hit, mofos! Matcha haters, run away now.
Just like the original Vegan Coffee Tiramisu recipe, this recipe consists of a Vanilla Green Tea Sheet Cake, Vegan Mascarpone made with Cashews and a delicious Green Tea Soaking Syrup to moisten the cake before layering. I’ve added a little Whisky to the Soaking Syrup as well, but feel free to omit that if you wish! I don’t have much to say about this Vegan Matcha Tiramisu aside from it is bloody delicious and you need to make it, ASAP. Nothing more needs to be said, the end.
Because I love showing off and pretending to be a fancy human being, I’ve also topped off my Vegan Tiramisu with Black and White Sesame Nougatine, aka Sesame Brittle. It adds a little crunch and makes the Matcha Tiramisu a little more aesthetically pleasing, so why the hecky decky not. This is completely optional, and I don’t assume most would bother with it, but if you would like to know how to go about making it, drop me a comment here or on Instagram and I’ll be happy to school you through it! Anyway, time to shovel some Matcha Tiramisu into my mouth, so scroll down to grab the recipe. Enjoy!
Vegan Christmas Tiramisu
Matcha Vanilla Sheet Cake:
- 1/2 cup Soy Milk
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 6 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons Pastry Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Dried Fruit/Mixed Peel mix
Matcha Soaking Syrup
- 3/4 cup Hot Water
- 2 teaspoons Matcha Powder
- 3 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Whisky optional
Vegan Mascarpone Filling:
- 1 3/4 cup Raw Cashews no need to soak
- 1/3 cup Agave Nectar
- 1/3 cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Seeds of 1 Vanilla Bean Pod
- 3/4 cup Soy Milk
For Vanilla Cream:
- 1/4 cup Soy Milk
- 1 tablespoon Melted Coconut Oil
For Matcha Cream:
- 1 tablespoon Matcha Powder + 1/3 Cup Hot Water mixed and left to cool
- Matcha Powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 8x6 inch cookie sheet with baking paper. Set aside.
- Whisk Soy Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar in a bowl set aside for 5 minutes to curdle. Sieve the Pastry Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Matcha Powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk Vegan Butter, Sugar and Salt till light and fluffy, about a minute. Whisk in the Vanilla Extract.
- Alternate whisking in the Soy Milk mixture and dry ingredients, starting with 1/3 of the dry and ending with the last third of the dry mixture.
- Spread mixture out onto prepared cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through. It's okay if you over bake it slightly, it doesn't make a difference.
- Meanwhile, prepare Soaking Syrup. Mix Matcha Powder, Hot Water and Sugar together till the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- To prepare the Vegan Mascarpone Filling, in a high speed blender, combine Cashews, Agave, Coconut Oil, Salt, Vanilla and Soy Milk. Blend thoroughly until smooth and silky.
- Divide mixture into half. For Vanilla Cream, use first half of mixture and thoroughly whisk in extra 1/4 cup Soy Milk and 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil. Set aside.
- For MatchaCream, blend second half of Mascarpone mixture with your cooled Matcha/Hot Water mixture.
- To assemble, have ready a tiramisu dish or individual ramekins/glasses. Cut a piece of sheet cake to fit the bottom of your ramekin or glass. Dip in Soaking Syrup for just a second or two and place into the bottom of your vessel.
- Top with a layer of Vanilla Cream and dust with Matcha Powder. At this point, freeze for 10 minutes.
- Once out of the freezer, top with a layer of Matcha Cream. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Repeat process once more - Soaked Cake, Vanilla Cream and Matcha Cream - freezing cream layers for 10 minutes before continuing.
- Once complete, dust the tops of you Tiramisu with Matcha Powder and leave in the fridge for at least 4-6 hours to firm up before eating.