Learn how to prepare this lentil soup; quick, delicious, and highly nutritious. Made using simple ingredients, it’ll become your go-to soup recipe!
Want to enjoy your daily dose of veggies in a delicious way? Besides our minestrone, this red lentil soup will make it easy for you!
It’s warm, comforting, and full of nutrients!
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Easy to make. This recipe uses simple ingredients and just 3 easy steps to prepare.
- Highly nutritious. It is packed with protein, fiber, iron, and vitamins.
- Budget-friendly. All the ingredients are affordable; it’s a filling meal while staying on budget.
- Helps in weight-loss. Lentils are a rich source of fiber and protein to keep you full for longer.
What I love the most about this lentil soup is its suitability for different dietary needs. It’s naturally gluten-free and vegan-friendly, making it a great option for everyone!
Get the following basic ingredients to make this delicious and healthy lentil soup:
- Lentils. Use red lentils for this recipe.
- Celery leaves. Chopped.
- Garlic. Minced.
- Tomatoes. Diced.
- Olive oil. Or any other neutral flavored oil.
- Tomato paste. Adds a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Carrots. Peeled and chopped.
- Onion. Finely chopped.
- Grated parmesan. To serve.
How to make a lentil soup
In just 3 simple steps, this lentil soup will be ready to enjoy. Here is how you can make it:
Step 1: Boil lentils
Wash and rinse lentils. Add them to boiling water in a pan and boil at high heat.
Step 2: Add remaining ingredients and cook
Add more water to the pan, then add the remaining ingredients except for parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the pot and simmer for an hour or until the lentils are tender or the soup becomes thick.
Serve with some hearty soda bread.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Soaking the lentils overnight can help them cook more quickly and evenly. Rinse and drain the lentils before using them in the soup.
- Cut the vegetables into small, bite-sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
Don’t want to bore yourself with the same flavor of lentil soup? Here are some flavor variations that you’ll love:
Use different broth. Use chicken or beef stock instead of water for a richer and more flavorful soup.
Add various vegetables. You can change the flavor of the soup by using different vegetables. For example, you can add sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash for a sweeter flavor, or mushrooms for an earthy taste.
Give it a spicy flavor. Try adding different spices to the soup to your soup a spicy flavor. You could add cumin, coriander, or turmeric for an Indian-inspired flavor or paprika and garlic for a smoky and savory flavor.
To store. Packed in airtight container, covered, it can be stored for up to 4-5 days.
To freeze. Put in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
Reheating. Reheat in the microwave or skillet until warm enough to serve.
More healthy dinner recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Yes, lentil soup is a fantastically healthy dish for you because lentils are full of nutrients, rich in minerals, fiber, and protein, and low in fat.
Yes, lentil soup is gluten-free and suitable for celiacs, provided you use gluten free pasta.
Lentil soup acts as a laxative due to the high amount of insoluble fiber, which helps prevent constipation and promotes regular bowel movement.
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 14 oz canned tomatoes diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 large carrots chopped and peeled
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Wash the lentils then place them in a large saucepan and fill with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and simmer for several minutes. Drain them.
- Add the lentils back into the saucepan and add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the remaining ingredients and cover the pan. Let everything simmer for an hour.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and give everything a good mix. Season with extra salt and pepper, if needed.