This vegan mac and cheese recipe is quick, creamy and made with just 5 main ingredients. Ready in minutes, it’s the perfect comfort food for those craving dairy! No nuts or tofu.
Since going vegan, there’s been a handful of things I’ve missed.
Instead of lamenting over them, I gave them a vegan makeover. These include lasagna, pizza, and of course, creamy mac and cheese.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
- Why this recipe works
- Ingredients needed
- How to make vegan Mac and cheese
- Step 1: Cook the macaroni
- Step 2: Add everything to the pot to form a mixture
- Step 4: Mix cheese sauce and macaroni
- How to make this taste better?
- Tips to make the best recipe
- Storage instructions
- More pasta recipes to try
- Frequently asked questions
Why this recipe works
- Quick. This recipe comes together in under 10 minutes and is perfect for a cozy weeknight dinner.
- Affordable. No hard-to-find cheese substitutes, or anything of the sort.
- Easy to customize. Switch up the spices, and hide some broccoli in it- the possibilities are endless!
- No nuts or tofu. Most vegan mac and cheese recipes call for cashews for their cheese sauce but not this one.
What I love about this recipe is that it tastes exactly like the real thing. By NOT using cashews or tofu, this seriously looks and tastes amazing!
- Macaroni. You can use any macaroni, such as elbow or straight.
- Butter. Use your favorite vegan butter or make your own.
- All-purpose flour. Thickens the sauce so it sticks to the macaroni.
- Salt. To taste.
- Black pepper. To taste.
- Milk. Use any plant-based milk. I like using unsweetened almond milk.
- Vegan cheese. Choose a good quality cheese that melts well. Some of my favorite brands include violife mature cheddar and sheeze cheese.
How to make vegan Mac and cheese
Follow the easy instructions below to make the most delicious dairy-free mac and cheese:
Step 1: Cook the macaroni
Boil water with some salt in it in a large pot. Add elbow macaroni to the boiling water and keep cooking until cooked.
Step 2: Add everything to the pot to form a mixture
Put a saucepan over medium heat and melt some butter and mix salt, pepper, and flour and mix for 5 minutes or until smooth paste forms. Then, slowly add milk and cook for about 5 minutes, until it has thickened.
Add shredded vegan cheese and mix for 2-4 minutes or until melted.
Step 4: Mix cheese sauce and macaroni
Mix macaroni with the cheese sauce and stir until coated.
How to make this taste better?
While delicious on its own, adding a tablespoon of mustard gives it a lovely flavor punch, as does some heat, including sriracha or hot sauce.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Choose unsweetened coconut milk from a can as it will yield a much creamier cheese sauce.
- Don’t overcook macaroni, as it can get mushy.
- Run cold water from the macaroni immediately after removing it from the salted water to keep it sticking to each other.
To store. Place the leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
To freeze. Cool the cooked mac and cheese before adding it to the freezer-safe containers to freeze for up to three months.
Reheating. Reheat in the microwave for 30-40 seconds, or in a non-stick saucepan.
More pasta recipes to try
- Roasted red pepper pasta
- Vegan pesto pasta
- Mushroom pasta
- Avocado pesto pasta
- Sun dried tomato pasta
Frequently asked questions
When made as written, this recipe tastes almost like Kraft Mac and Cheese… if not better!
No, there is no vegan Kraft mac and cheese because it contains whey products and dairy milk.
Vegan cheese is neither healthier nor worse off than standard cheese. However, it does not contain as much protein and often is higher in fat.
Vegan Mac And Cheese (No Nuts Or Tofu!)
- 8 ounces macaroni noodles dry
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups soy milk or plant based milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese shredded
- Bring a pot of salted boiling water to a boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- In a separate pot, add the butter and place over medium heat. Once melted, add the flour to make a paste. Slowly, add the milk until a thick sauce remains. Add the salt and pepper then fold through the cheese.
- Drain the pasta and add to the saucepan with the cheese sauce. Mix until combined.
Crazy Vegan says