Learn how to make vegan sour cream with just 3 simple ingredients. Ready in minutes, it’ll be the best sour cream substitute you’ve ever had!
We love recreating the store-bought sauces and dips ourselves. We loved making pesto aioli, mayo, and now vegan sour cream.
This homemade recipe tastes so good that you’re going to make it again and again!
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick. Just mix everything, and it will be ready to enjoy.
- Just 3 simple ingredients. Just vegan yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and salt!
- Cheaper than store-bought. Packaged vegan sour cream is super expensive but this homemade version is ridiculously affordable.
- No tofu and NO cashews. Many commercial brands use soy and tofu in their sour cream but not this one!
What I love about this recipe is just how much it tastes like actual sour cream! I brought some to a Mexican night my friends had and even the non-vegans were digging into it!
As mentioned earlier, this recipe calls for just 3 simple ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
- Vegan yogurt. Plain unsweetened dairy-free yogurt. I like to choose a thicker soy or almond brand, sometimes marketed as “greek”, to give the sour cream a more authentic texture.
- Apple cider vinegar. White vinegar also works.
- Sea salt. To taste.
How to make it?
Start by mixing all the ingredients using a whisk or fork until well combined. Add more yogurt if the flavor of salt or vinegar is too much. Use more vinegar to add a tangy flavor and more salt if required.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Traditional sour cream is thick, so choose a vegan yogurt that is on the thicker side. Coconut yogurt or soy yogurt are great options.
- Keep in the refrigerator for some time to chill if it’s warm once everything is mixed well. It tastes better when chilled.
- If your vegan sour cream is too thick, you can add some water to adjust the consistency.
To store: Use an airtight container to store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 14 days.
To freeze: Avoid freezing the sour cream as it will not thaw well.
More vegan staple recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Sour cream is a dairy product based on milk and cream.
Some of the best vegan sour cream brands include Forager Project, Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream, Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream, and Kite Hill Plant-Based Sour Cream.
Vegan Sour Cream
- 2 cups Plain vegan yogurt soy or almond
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix together all the ingredients until combined. If you want it tangier, add a little more vinegar.
- Cover the sour cream and refrigerate it for at least an hour to thicken.