Anyone having trouble finding Pasta at your local grocery store? Thanks to all the hoarders, I’ve found myself having to make use of specialty pasta that I myself have hoarded over the years. In today’s recipe for this Vegan Southwestern Pasta Salad, I’ve made use of some Rainbow Bowtie Pasta (that I genuinely thought was too pretty to eat) that my dad got me last year when he visited me here in Melbourne. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
I love all things Southwestern and Mexican, so it only made sense that I tried to create a pasta dish that emulated similar flavour combinations. This incredibly simple pasta salad consists of of course, Pasta and a bunch of other veggies that include Cherry Tomatoes, Roasted Sweet Potato, Grilled Corn, Black Beans, Green Onion and of course, Avocado and Cilantro. No Vegan Southwestern Pasta Salad can be complete without some Avo and the ever controversial Cilantro/Coriander.
Since my Rainbow Bowtie pasta is so gorgeous on its own, I decided to forgo a creamy dressing that would mask all the pretty colours and instead opt for a simple Cumin Lime Vinaigrette to dress this healthy and delicious pasta salad recipe. The dressing couldn’t be simpler to make – all you need is Olive Oil, Ground Cumin, Agave Nectar, Lime Juice, Lime Zest, Rice Vinegar, Garlic, Salt and Pepper.
Combine your cooked Pasta, Veggies and your dressing mixture and hey presto, a delicious, simple and incredibly easy to make Southwestern Pasta Salad that even non-vegans would gobble down. Scroll down for the full recipe and please, don’t hoard groceries at the supermarket. I’ll be real mad if you do. XOXO.
Similar Recipes You May Enjoy:
Crazy Vegan Kitchen
A Mexican inspired Vegan Southwestern Pasta Salad with Roasted Sweet Potato, Grilled Corn, Cherry Tomatoes, Black Beans & a Cumin Lime Vinaigrette.
15 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 8 oz Pasta of your choice (250g)
- 3 Green Onions, sliced into small pieces
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 tin Black Beans, drained
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1 bunch of Cilantro/Coriander, chopped finely (you can use Parsley instead)
- 1 1/2 cups Corn Kernels (preferably frozen)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Zest of 1 Lime
- 1/4 cup fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Agave Nectar
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- Start off preparing your Roasted Corn and Sweet Potato. Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- In a bowl, combine your Cork Kernels with Olive Oil and Salt/Pepper, to taste. Lay on a parchment lined baking tray in a single layer and roast in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Corn is ready when it is nicely browned, not burnt.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine diced Sweet Potato, Olive Oil, Ground Coriander, Ground Cumin, Paprika and Salt/Pepper, to taste in a bowl. Mix to combine and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Turn oven down to 180C/360F and roast Sweet Potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to directions on packaging. Once cooked, drain and place in a large salad bowl.
- Toss Pasta with your Green Onions, drained Black Beans, halved Cherry Tomatoes, Avocado, Roasted Corn, Roasted Sweet Potato and Cilantro.
- To make dressing, combine everything in a bowl and whisk well. Pour over Pasta Salad and toss to combine.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Serve.
- This Vegan Southwestern Pasta Salad is lovely warm, but can also be enjoyed cold. Kept in an air-tight container, it will last for up to 1 week.