This homemade aglio e olio is an elegant yet simple pasta dish that is sure to impress! Ready in less than 30 minutes, it’s perfect for a fast weeknight dinner or something a little fancy.
What is agile e olio?
Aglio o olio is a Roman dish in which garlic and oil are sautéed together. It is used to season many dishes, from pizza and pasta to soups and sauces, and serves as a great ingredient for adding an extra punch of flavor to your dish.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
When speaking of pasta, it involves a single garlic and oil combination that works as a sauce for it. While perfect on its own, we like to add mushrooms too, to take it up a notch.
You’ll love our version because it’s:
- Quick. From prep to plate, this pasta comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- Budget-friendly. This recipe calls for simple ingredients that are inexpensive.
- Delicious. The sauce and other ingredients add a lot of flavors making it super delicious.
What I love about this recipe is just how simple it is yet tastes incredible. At first glance, you might assume this to be bland but quite the contrary- it’s super flavorful.
Besides the pasta and some seasonings, there isn’t much else that goes into this recipe. Here is what you’ll need:
- Fettuccine. Our preferred pasta for this recipe is as it holds onto the flavors so much better than other noodles.
- Zucchini. Optional, but I love to make zucchini noodles for the extra nutrients and pop of color.
- Olive oil. As olive oil is a key ingredient, choose a good quality and flavorful one.
- Mushrooms. Optional, but I love the combination of mushrooms and pasta.
- Garlic. Minced.
- Dried chili flakes. Adds a spicy element which is completely optional.
- Basil. Fresh is preferred but dried will also work.
- Baby spinach. Chopped.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Parmesan cheese. To serve.
How to make aglio e olio
This recipe is very simple and follows a 3-step process.
Step 1: Cook pasta
Add salt to a pot of water and place over medium heat. Once boiling, add the fettuccine and cook till al dente. Once cooked, drain the pasta and keep 1 cup of its cooking water to use later.
Step 2: Cook mushrooms
In a large skillet or frying pan, mix garlic with olive oil while the flame is off (it prevents the garlic from burning). Turn on the heat and let the garlic cook for about 30 seconds or until it becomes fragrant. Now, add mushrooms and chili flakes and keep cooking until the mushrooms soften.
Step 3: Mix mushrooms and pasta
Add pasta and ½ cup of the cooking water to the skillet and then add the olive oil/mushroom mixture. Once pasta is heated, add zucchini and the remaining cooking water, if required. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Cool down the pasta immediately by keeping it in cold water to keep it from sticking together.
- For an even creamier pasta, toss through a few tablespoons of cream.
- To add protein, you can use chicken, pork, shrimp, or beef in your pasta.
To store. Put the leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To freeze. Cooked pasta can be frozen for 2-3 months when kept in an air-sealed container.
Reheating. Reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or in a skillet.
More pasta recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
With very little saturated fat, this is quite a healthy dish. Add some protein or pair it with a salad for a well-balanced meal.
It has a salty, nutty and prominent garlic flavor.
Aglio E Olio
- 100 grams Fettuccine
- 1 small Zucchini Spiralized
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup Mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 1 bunch Basil de-stemmed
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese to serve
- In a large pot, combine lots of water and salt and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, throw fettuccine in and let cook till al dente. Once cooked, drain pasta and reserve about 1 cup of its cooking water aside.
- In a large frying pan or skillet, combine olive oil and garlic together before turning the heat on (this is to prevent the garlic from burning). Turn heat on and let garlic cook gently for about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and chilli flakes into the pan and cook till mushrooms have softened.
- Add pasta and about 1/2 cup of its cooking water to the skillet and toss in the olive oil/mushroom mixture. Once pasta has heated through, add your spiralized zucchini in. Toss to heat through, and add a little more reserved cooking water if too dry. Season liberally with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Turn heat off and add basil, baby spinach and 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil in. Toss to coat in sauce and dish out to serve.