This banana milkshake is a simple vegan dessert that needs just 3 ingredients! No dairy and full of creamy vegan ice cream!
During the warmer months, one of my favorite desserts to make is a simple banana milkshake. As someone who loves a traditional banana smoothie, it was a no brainer to give it a dessert makeover. This involves swapping out the oats for ice cream and instead of having it for breakfast… you have it for dessert!
No dairy is needed, making it perfect for a vegan and gluten free diet. The range of vegan ice creams is very impressive, and the flavor options are endless! You only need 3 ingredients and less than 2 minutes to whip it up!
How do you make a banana milkshake?
- Banana– The riper the banana is, the sweeter the milkshake. If you’d prefer an extra thick milkshake, use a frozen banana.
- Vegan ice cream– Any dairy free vanilla ice cream of choice. Aim to use one that is coconut based (as opposed to soy based) as it yields an even creamier texture.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but soy, oat, coconut, etc, will all work.
In a high speed blender, add all your ingredients and blend until thick and creamy. Pour into two glasses and enjoy immediately.
Tips to make the best vegan banana milkshake
- Use a good quality ice cream, as it makes all the difference in terms of taste and texture.
- If you want a more pronounced banana flavor, feel free to add more than the suggested amount. You may need to add a little extra milk to compensate.
- For a thicker milkshake without adding extra calories, feel free to add 1/4 cup of ice.
The beauty of this vegan milkshake is just how versatile and adaptable it is. Here are some fun flavor variations to try-
- Strawberry banana milkshake– Add 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries.
- Chocolate banana milkshake– Use chocolate ice cream and add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder OR chocolate syrup.
- Peanut butter banana milkshake– Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.
- Banana Oreo milkshake– Blend 2-3 Oreos (naturally vegan!) or homemade Oreos.
- Banana pudding milkshake– Replace the milk with 1/2 cup of vanilla yogurt.
- To store: You can store the milkshake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to stir it vigorously before drinking, in case of any separation.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
Watch How To Make It
Banana Milkshake (No dairy!)
- 1 large banana
- 1/2 cup vegan ice cream vanilla
- 1 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened oat milk
- In a high speed blender, add all your ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into two classes and serve immediately.