This creamed corn recipe is a delightful blend of sweet corn kernels and a creamy, flavorful sauce, resulting in a deliciously comforting side dish fit for any occasion! With simple ingredients and straightforward steps, this recipe is quick and easy. Be ready to impress!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Creamy and comforting. Creamed corn offers a luscious and velvety texture that is both comforting and satisfying, making it a perfect side dish for any occasion.
- Sweet and savory balance. The natural sweetness of the corn kernels combined with the savory flavors of vegan butter and sauce creates a perfect balance of flavors that is both indulgent and delicious.
- Versatile and customizable. Creamed corn can be enjoyed on its own as a side dish or used as a versatile ingredient in other recipes like casseroles, soups, or dips, allowing for endless creative possibilities in the kitchen.
- Fresh corn kernels. Fresh corn kernels are the star ingredient and provide the sweet and juicy flavor that is essential to creamed corn.
- Plant-based milk. Plant-based milk, such as almond milk or soy milk, is used to create the creamy texture of the dish without using dairy. It adds richness and enhances the overall creaminess.
- Vegan butter. Vegan butter adds richness and flavor to the creamed corn, mimicking the traditional buttery taste found in non-vegan versions.
- All-purpose flour. All-purpose flour is used as a thickening agent to help create a creamy and slightly thickened sauce that coats the corn kernels.
- Onion and garlic. Onion and garlic add aromatic and savory flavors, enhancing the overall taste of the creamed corn.
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, herbs): Salt and pepper are used to season the dish, while herbs like parsley, thyme or even a sprinkle of paprika can be added for additional flavor and freshness.
How to make creamed corn
Step 1 – Sauté and soften. In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become soft and translucent. Add the fresh corn kernels to the skillet and stir to combine with the onions and garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the corn is slightly tender.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Step 2 – Thicken the corn. Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the corn mixture and stir well to coat the kernels evenly. Cook for another minute to cook off the raw flour taste. Slowly pour in the plant-based milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens and reaches a creamy consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
Step 3 – Garnish and serve! Season with salt and pepper to taste, adjusting the seasoning as desired. Remove the skillet from heat and transfer the creamed corn to a serving dish. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Serve the creamed corn warm as a side dish alongside your favorite main course.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use fresh corn kernels. Whenever possible, opt for fresh corn kernels rather than canned or frozen ones. Fresh corn will provide a sweeter and more vibrant flavor to your creamed corn dish. If fresh corn isn’t available, you can use frozen corn kernels as a substitute.
- Blend a portion of the corn mixture. For a creamier texture, consider blending a portion of the cooked corn mixture before combining it back with the remaining corn. This step helps create a smoother consistency while still maintaining some whole corn kernels for added texture.
- Experiment with seasonings and herbs. While the base recipe includes salt and pepper, feel free to get creative with additional seasonings and herbs. Consider adding a pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper for a subtle heat, or sprinkle some fresh herbs like parsley or thyme for added freshness and aroma. Adjust the seasonings to suit your taste preferences.
To store: Allow the creamed corn to cool completely at room temperature. Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container. Refrigerate and consume it within 3-4 days for the best quality and flavor.
To freeze: If you have a larger batch or want to store it for a longer period, you can freeze the creamed corn. Place it in a freezer-safe container or bag, ensuring all the air is squeezed out to prevent freezer burn. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
To reheat: When ready to consume the refrigerated or frozen creamed corn, reheat it gently on the stovetop or in the microwave until heated through. Stir well before serving.
- Saucepan. A good saucepan is all you need for this delicious recipe!
More great side dish recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use canned or frozen corn as a substitute for fresh corn if it’s more convenient or not in season. Just be sure to drain canned corn and thaw frozen corn before using them in the recipe.
Yes, you can experiment with different flours such as cornstarch or gluten-free flour blends as a substitute for all-purpose flour. Keep in mind that the texture may vary slightly, so adjust the amount as needed.
Yes, you can make the creamed corn ahead of time and reheat it when needed. However, keep in mind that the texture may change slightly upon reheating, and it may require additional seasoning adjustments.
Absolutely! Creamed corn can be customized to your liking. You can add additional vegetables like bell peppers or diced carrots for added color and flavor. You can also experiment with spices or herbs to enhance the taste profile.
- 4 cups corn kernels fresh
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the fresh corn kernels to the skillet and stir to combine with the onions and garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the corn is slightly tender.
- Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the corn mixture and stir well to coat the kernels evenly. Cook for another minute to cook off the raw flour taste. Slowly pour in the plant-based milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens and reaches a creamy consistency, about 5-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, adjusting the seasoning as desired. Remove the skillet from heat and transfer the creamed corn to a serving dish. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Serve warm.