Learn to prepare this tomato tart recipe using simple ingredients. Ready in less than 30 minutes. The filling has a rich and creamy texture and bursts of tomato flavor in every bite.
In love with healthful tofu recipes? If you have tried and loved our orange tofu, let’s gear up for this tomato tart with a tofu base.
Made using simple ingredients, yet has restaurant-worthy flavor!
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Inexpensive. It is prepared using easily available and affordable ingredients.
- Easy. It’s super easy and simple, and you can make it even without any cooking experience.
- Perfect for any meal. This recipe can work well as a light lunch (or even brunch) and be served as a wholesome dinner.
- Nutritious. The tofu provides protein, the pastry has healthy fats, and the tomato gives us some fiber.
What we love about this recipe is how easy it is to customize. Switch out the tomatoes for something else, add some cheese, or even drizzle it with some balsamic…the possibilities are endless!
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you might already have in your pantry. Here is everything you need:
- Puff Pastry. Pre-rolled
- Tofu. I like using light or soft tofu as it crumbles easier.
- Lemon Juice. To balance out the sweet and salty elements.
- Olive Oil. Extra virgin.
- Nutritional Yeast. For a cheese-like flavor.
- Sugar. Enhances tomatoes’ sweetness and creates a caramelized crust..
- Garlic clove. Minced finely.
- Basil. Finely chopped.
- Salt and pepper. To season.
- Tapioca Starch. Absorbs moisture preventing the pastry from going soggy.
- Tomatoes. Sliced.
How to make a tomato tart
Ready to make tomato puffy pastry tart? Here are the simple instructions to prepare the perfect recipe.
Step 1: Prepare the oven and baking tray
Set your oven to preheat at 180°C/ 350° F. Take some parchment paper and line a baking tray and leave aside.
Step 2: Prepare the cream
In a mixing bowl, add your garlic, sugar, nutritional yeast, olive oil, black salt, lemon juice, and tofu and start whisking. Mix it well till you have a smooth consistency going. Once it is smooth, add finely chopped basil but avoid mixing it to keep the cream from turning green.
Step 3: Season and add starch
Grab your salt and pepper and season to your liking before adding in the tapioca starch and then pulsing it till completely blended together.
Step 4: Roll out and shape puff pastry edges
Roll out the puff pastry onto your pre-lined baking tray. Using your fingers, fold each edge of the puff pastry sheet no more than half an inch inwards. This will create a slightly raised rim around the outside.
Step 5: Fill the puff pastry with cream
Grab a spoon and start spreading the tofu basil cream onto the puff pastry dish you readied as if you were layering marinara sauce on pizza dough.
Step 6: Add tomato and season
Add layers of tomato slices on the bed of puff pastry and cream you created, making sure to leave none of it uncovered. Once the tomatoes are in place, cover them in a generous amount of seasoning and give a light splash of olive oil.
Step 7: Bake
Pop the tray in the oven and let it bake for 25 minutes. When done, take out the tray and garnish it with freshly chopped basil while it is still hot to infuse it with the tomatoes.
You can jazz up this tart or change up its flavor with just a few tweaks- Here is what we’ve tried:
- Add cheese. Top off with your favorite cheese and give the recipe a pizza-like twist. Mozzarella and grated parmesan are great options.
- Variety of tomatoes. Don’t just stick to one type of tomato. Apart from regular tomatoes, you can use sun-dried and cherry tomatoes for a blend of flavors.
- Balsamic glaze. Give a light splash of it before serving if you fancy a sweet and tangy taste.
To store. Place leftovers in a shallow container and store them in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To freeze. Place portions of the tart in a freezer-safe container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat. Let thaw overnight in your fridge. Then pop it in a preheated oven and bake at 180°C/ 350° F for 5 minutes or heated thoroughly.
More dinner recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Jus-Rol Puff Pastry is known to be 100%. Many other brands are offering vegan puff pastry as well, like Trader Joe’s, Pepperidge Farm, and Vegan Puff. Just be sure to check the ingredients when purchasing.
Both! Depending on your preference, you can have it hot or cold. It’s great either way.
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry thawed (8 inch squares)
- 10 ounces silken Tofu
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Pinch Black Salt Kala Namak – optional but adds good flavor
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 clove Garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tapioca Starch
- 3-4 large Tomatoes sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar optional
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- Prepare Tofu Basil Cream by blending Tofu, Lemon Juice, Black Salt, Olive Oil, Nutritional Yeast, Sugar and Garlic together till smooth.
- Once smooth, add fresh Basil in and pulse until Basil is finely chopped and incorporated into the cream. Don’t blend as this will turn your cream Green.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste, then add Tapioca Starch into mixture and pulse till fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Place one 8 inch Puff Pastry square onto prepared baking sheet. Using the other sheet of puff pastry, cut four 1x8inch strips (you will not use all of it), and place on the edges of your first puff pastry sheet to create a higher rim around the sides.
- Spoon some Tofu Basil Cream into the middle of your prepared Puff Pastry. You will have cream leftover, which you can use to make a few more smaller tarts or use as a pizza topping.
- Layer sliced Tomato slices on top of the cream, covering most of the surface. Sprinkle seasoning on the Tomato slices and then drizzle the entire surface of the tart with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped Fresh Basil.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and enjoying.