It’s getting pretty chilly in Melbourne these days since winter is approaching, and I’m constantly freezing my silicone tits off, so I’ve been trying to make warmer one pot dishes as of recent. Today, I made a Spanish Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew… but for some reason the sun decided to make a surprise appearance today as well. What is my life. A tragic disaster, that is what. Anyway… my war with the weather aside, this was a kick-ass, super healthy and easy to make dish that was all cooked in one pot and in under 45 minutes.
Now, as you can see, I have also added a bunch of Baby Spinach to this Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew, boosting the amount of Folic Acid and Iron in the dish. You know what this means, right? Eat loads of Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew if you’re planning on getting knocked up. Folic Acid and Iron are key in falling pregnant, this is common knowledge. Please ignore this advice if you are under 16 years old. I will not be held accountable for your appearance on 16 and Pregnant!
There are very basic – almost definitely already in your pantry – ingredients in this Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew. All you need is Olive Oil, Onion, Garlic, Cumin, Harissa, Sweet Potato, Tinned Tomatoes, Chickpeas, Maple Syrup, Chickpeas and Baby Spinach. Pretty damn simple. This recipe is cooked and ready to serve in under 45 minutes, low in fat, hearty, healthy and simple to make. Scroll down for the entire Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew recipe ! Ciao for now.
Crazy Vegan Kitchen
5 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, sliced into crescents
- 2 teaspoons minced Garlic
- 1 small (about 3 oz/100 grams) Sweet Potato, peeled cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Harissa Paste
- 1 14 oz can crushed Tomatoes (400 grams)
- 1 14 oz can Chickpeas, drained (400 grams)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 3 oz/100 grams Baby Spinach
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 1 oz Slivered Almonds, toasted
- Chopped Parsley
- Brown Rice, to serve with
- In a deep saucepan, heat olive oil up. Fry sliced onion and garlic on low heat till onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add tiny diced sweet potato to the pan and stir to coat in olive oil.
- Add Ground Cumin and Harissa Paste to the pan, and stir/cook for a minute or two to toast the spices off. After 2 minutes, pour in can of Crushed Tomatoes into the pan, along with drained chickpeas and 1/2 cup of Vegetable stock. Stir well.
- Add Sugar and Maple Syrup to pan, stir well, and cover pan with a lid. Let simmer, on low to medium heat, for about 25 minutes, or until sweet potato has softened.
- During hat 25 minute simmering time, stir the stew every 10 minutes or so to prevent scorching at the bottom of the pan.
- Once sweet potato is softened, add Baby Spinach into the pan, cover with a lid for a minute to let spinach wilt, and then uncover and stir spinach in.
- Taste, and season appropriately with Salt and Pepper.
- Serve with a side of Brown Rice, and top stew with Toasted Slivered Almonds and Chopped Parsley.