Learn how to prepare this chickpea curry; creamy, delicious, and full of protein. It’s a quick and easy meal that is perfect for busy weeknights!
Ditch the meat, not the taste, with plant-based recipes.
Our favorite way to amp up the protein is to use chickpeas. Our favorite ways to use it is in a stew or a chickpea tuna salad and, on cooler nights, a hearty chickpea curry.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Why this recipe works
- Easy to make. The recipe is simple, making it easy to whip up even on busy weeknights.
- Healthy. Chickpeas are high in protein and fiber, and the sauce has no cream or butter.
- Easy to customize. You can adjust the spiciness, sweetness, and creaminess to your taste.
- Easy to scale up or down. You can easily adjust the portions to feed a crowd or just a few people.
What I love the most about this recipe is that it’s great for leftovers. The curry flavors will continue to develop and intensify over time, making leftovers even more delicious!
What is chickpea curry made of?
Besides the curry itself, I’ve included a recipe for the perfect cilantro rice to pair with it. Here is what you’ll need:
For cilantro lime rice
- White rice. Use long-grained rice.
- Vegan butter. Or standard butter.
- Sea salt. To taste.
- Water. You can also use vegetable broth for a more flavorful base.
- Lime zest. Adds a bold and bright flavor.
- Lime juice. For a tangy flavor.
- Cilantro. Add a fresh and bright flavor to the rice.
For the chickpea curry
- Olive oil. Use extra virgin olive oil.
- Leek. Finely sliced.
- Garlic and ginger. Minced.
- Paprika. To taste.
- Cayenne pepper. To taste.
- Coconut milk. You must use full-fat coconut milk from a can, not the stuff from a carton.
- Coconut sugar. My preferred sweetener. Brown sugar or white sugar also works.
- Chickpeas. Drained.
- Broccolini. Also known as baby broccoli. If you can’t find this at your grocery store, standard broccoli works.
- Salt. To taste.
- Chopped cilantro. To add flavor. Optional.
How to make a curry with chickpeas
In just three easy steps, your chickpea curry will be ready to serve:
Step 1: Prepare cilantro lime rice
Add rice, sea salt, vegan butter, and water to a small saucepan. Let it simmer for 15 minutes before opening the lid and removing it from the stove. Add cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice to the rice and mix gently.
Step 2: Prepare turmeric chickpea curry
Take some oil in a saucepan. Add sliced leeks and fry until softened. Then, add garlic, paprika, ginger and cayenne to the leeks and cook until the spices are toasted. Now, add drained chickpeas, coconut sugar, coconut milk and baby spinach. Cover with lid and cook until the broccoli becomes tender.
Step 3: Serve
Season chickpea curry with salt and pepper and serve immediately with lime rice.
Tips to make the best recipe
- For a richer flavor, cook curry on low heat for a longer time or in a pressure cooker.
- Use high-quality coconut milk as it will make a big difference in the overall taste and texture of the curry.
- Cook the onions until they are translucent and golden brown, adding a nice sweetness to the curry.
- Use canned or pre-cooked chickpeas for convenience, but if you’re using dried chickpeas, make sure to soak and cook them properly before adding them to the curry.
The beauty of this curry is that it is quite easy to customize to use other ingredients or change up the flavor. Here are some suggestions:
- Add non-vegan protein. Add some protein such as chicken, lamb, beef, or paneer to make the curry more hearty and filling.
- Add some veggies. Don’t be afraid to play around with different vegetables in the curry. Adding vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, eggplant, or okra can add flavor and texture.
- Make it smoky. If you want to add a touch of smokiness to the curry, you can add some smoked paprika or dry-roasted cumin powder to the spices.
To store. Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To freeze. Put the leftovers in an airtight container and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Reheating. You can reheat it in the microwave or pot until warm enough to enjoy.
More dinner recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Chickpea curry can be a good option for weight loss as long as it’s prepared in a healthy way. Chickpeas are a good source of protein and fiber, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied for a long time.
Yes, you can use other legumes besides chickpeas for making curry. Legumes like lentils, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, and black beans can all be used as alternatives to chickpeas in a curry dish.
Cilantro Lime Rice:
- 1 cup White Rice Long Grained
- 2 teaspoons Vegan Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Lime Zest
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice Fresh
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Leek finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk Full-Fat and from a tin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Coconut Sugar
- 2 cups Chickpeas Drained
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Cilantro to serve
- First prepare your Cilantro Lime Rice. In a small saucepan, combine your Rice, Vegan Butter, Sea Salt and Water. Bring to a simmer and then pop the lid on and lower your heat all the way down. Allow to cook for 15 minutes and then let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before removing the lid and fluffing with a fork.
- Add Lime Zest, Lime Juice and Cilantro to the rice and mix gently to combine.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, prepare the Turmeric Chickpea Curry.
- In a saucepan, heat Olive Oil. Add sliced Leeks and fry for a minute till softened. Add Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric Powder, Paprika and Cayenne to the leeks. Fry for 2 minutes, or until spices are nice and toasted.
- Once spices are toasted, add Coconut Milk, Coconut Sugar and Drained Chickpeas to the pan. Add Baby Broccoli and then stir to combine everything.
- Cover pan with a lid and let cook for 10-12 minutes, or until Broccoli is tender.
- Season well with Salt and Pepper, and serve immediately with the Cilantro Lime Rice. Garnish with extra Cilantro and a lime wedge.
Catherine Wisner says
Crazy Vegan says