Because I’m a tart, by default, I love tarts. Whether they are savory or sweet, tarts have always been my guilty pastry pleasure. Another one of my favourite sweet treats is Fig Jam, so it only made sense that I combine my two vices and create a magnificent Vegan Fig Tart with Almond Frangipane. Think sweet pastry crust, almond a generous layer of fig jam, delicious almond frangipane filling and finally, a generous lashing of vegan whipped cream and fresh figs as the pièce de résistance.
To start off the sweet pastry, you simple combine some Vegan Butter (the stick kind, not the tub variety), Sugar, a dash of Salt and All Purpose Flour. Once your dough is made, you chill it in the fridge for about an hour before rolling it out into a tart tin. Next up, a generous layer of Fig Jam – it is a Vegan Fig Tart after all. I make my own, but feel free to purchase a jar and go crazy.
The last component of this Vegan Fig Tart is a veganized Almond Frangipane filling that is made with Vegan Butter, Sugar, Flour, Cornstarch, Aquafaba, Ground Almonds and Vanilla Extract. This tart doesn’t require any blind baking (YAS), so you just bake the entire thing in the oven for 35-45 minutes until your Almond Frangipane is evenly browned and cooked through.
Lastly, top this bad boy off with some Vegan Whipped Cream and slices of fresh Fig (I use SoyaToo, feel free to use Coconut Whipped Cream – you do you!). I love this tart served at room temperature but I especially love it cold, so do as you please. You may also replace the Fig Jam and fresh Figs with other Fruit Jams/Fruit of your choice – the tart world is your Oyster! Don’t let me tell you what to do. Scroll down to grab the full recipe, and I’ll see you next time.
Similar Recipes You May Enjoy:
Vegan Fig Tart with Almond Frangipane
Vegan Sweet Pastry Crust:
- 115 g Vegan Butter from a stick
- 60 grams Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 170 grams All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
For Vegan Almond Frangipane:
- 80 grams Vegan Butter softened
- 115 grams Sugar
- 40 grams All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 85 grams Aquafaba 1/3 cup
- 175 grams almond flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Fig Jam * See notes
- Vegan Whipped Cream
- Fresh Figs sliced ** See notes
- To prepare sweet pastry crust, combine softened Vegan Butter and Sugar in a bowl. Whisk till light and creamy. Add Vanilla Extract and whisk well.
- Add sifted All Purpose Flour and Salt to your creamed butter and using a fork or pastry cutter, "cut" the flour into the butter until a soft dough forms. Don't overwork it.
- Transfer dough to worktop and knead no more than 3-4 times, until the dough comes together.
- Flatten slightly and wrap entirely in cling wrap, then let sit in the fridge to rest for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Vegan Almond Frangipane.
- In a bowl, cream Vegan Butter and Sugar until light and creamy. Whisk in Flour, Cornstarch, Baking Powder, Vanilla Extract, Aquafaba and Ground Almonds.
- Once your dough is fully chilled, preheat oven to 175 Celsius/350 F. Remove dough from fridge and dust your counter top with a thin layer of flour.
- Roll your dough out until it is slightly larger than a 9 inch tart tin and then line your tin with the dough. Trim off excess and freeze the tart tin for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from freezer and spread a generous layer of Fig Jam in the bottom of your lined tart tin.
- Pour Vegan Almond Frangipane into tart case until it is filled to the brim. Even almond cream out and stud with small pieces of chopped Fresh Fig.
- Bake tart in oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- When tart has cooled down, remove from tin. I like to chill it for 4-6 hours to let the Almond Frangipane set up, but this is optional.
- Decorate with Vegan Whipped Cream and more Fresh Fig pieces.