Hey hey hey! Today’s recipe is for an idiot-proof, easy Vegan Tomato Tart with Tofu Basil Cream. I’ve been all about simple, easy recipes as of late because it’s starting to get warm in Australia and I’m not prepared to spend hours over a hot stove in the kitchen when I could be sat on the couch under the air conditioning watching MTV. This Vegan Tomato Tart is perfect for a simple dinner or afternoon snack, and comes together in less than half an hour – a winner in my books.
There is no need to fiddle with making pastry for this recipe because the tart base I use is store-bought ready rolled Puff Pastry sheets. You’ll be surprised to find out that a lot of Puff Pastry at the grocery store is actually vegan – just make sure to check the ingredients and choose one that is made with dairy-free margarine, not butter. Who doesn’t love Puff Pastry? It’s the bomb diggity.
Next up is a delicious Tofu Basil Cream that we spread on the base of our Vegan Tomato Tart- a simple mixture of medium/soft Tofu, Olive Oil, Nutritional Yeast, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Black Salt (Kala Namak), Lemon Juice, Sugar, Fresh Basil and Tapioca Starch to firm the cream up in the oven. This stuff takes fukkin yum and would even make a great base sauce for pizza. Once the Tofu Basil Cream has been spread on the Puff Pastry sheet, you’ll want to decorate with fresh Tomato Slices and then pop this bastard into a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Fresh out of the oven, I sprinkle some more fresh Basil onto the Tomato Tart and then let it sit for 5-10 minutes for everything to firm up before wolfing it down. Trust me, this shyt is piping hot out of the oven and you’ll want to wait or you’ll end up with a burnt mouth like I did. I really like drizzling some Balsamic Glaze on the Vegan Tomato Tart before eating, but this is entirely up to you. Drizzle with whatever you want, to be honest – dishwashing liquid, wine, soda – whatever you please. Don’t blame me for any trips to the hospital after. Scroll down to grab the full recipe for this Easy Vegan Tomato Tart with Tofu Basil Cream. Till next time!
Crazy Vegan Kitchen
Easy Vegan Tomato Tart on Puff Pastry with Tofu Basil Cream.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 sheets Ready Rolled Vegan Puff Pastry, thawed (8 inch squares)
- For Tofu Basil Cream:
- 10 ounces Soft Tofu
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Pinch Black Salt (Kala Namak - optional but adds good flavor)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 clove Garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil, chopped
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tapioca Starch
- Tart Topping:
- 3-4 Roma Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped Fresh Basil
- Balsamic Glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- Prepare Tofu Basil Cream by blending Tofu, Lemon Juice, Black Salt, Olive Oil, Nutritional Yeast, Sugar and Garlic together till smooth.
- Once smooth, add fresh Basil in and pulse until Basil is finely chopped and incorporated into the cream. Don't blend as this will turn your cream Green.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste, then add Tapioca Starch into mixture and pulse till fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Place one 8 inch Puff Pastry square onto prepared baking sheet. Using the other sheet of puff pastry, cut four 1x8inch strips (you will not use all of it), and place on the edges of your first puff pastry sheet to create a higher rim around the sides.
- Spoon some Tofu Basil Cream into the middle of your prepared Puff Pastry. You will have cream leftover, which you can use to make a few more smaller tarts or use as a pizza topping.
- Layer sliced Tomato slices on top of the cream, covering most of the surface. Sprinkle seasoning on the Tomato slices and then drizzle the entire surface of the tart with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped Fresh Basil.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and enjoying. I like to drizzle Balsamic Glaze on before eating as well - but this is entirely up to you!
Notes & Other Shyt You Need To Know
Make sure you purchase Vegan Puff Pastry.