Pancakes. I have a love hate relationship with them. Half of me wants to stuff my face with a fat stack of syrup laden carb frisbees, whilst the other half of me wants to stay far away from it. Today I gave in to sin and allowed myself these Vegan Banana Nut Pancakes because why the heck not!
Banana Bread is one of my favorite snacks, and I’m team nuts (I’m also nuts) when it comes to Banana desserts. All about that texture, baby. For my Vegan Banana Nut Pancakes, all you have to do is combine Mashed Banana, Almond Milk, Vanilla Extract, Cinnamon, Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Sugar, Walnuts and a touch of melted Vegan Butter (or Vegetable Oil).
Some people use Flaxseed or Chia as an egg replacement in pancakes, but since Bananas have a binding quality to them, I decided to skip the binder and let the Banana just do its bloody job. Thankfully, that worked out swell. As always, these Banana Nut Pancakes take literal minutes to prepare (I’m not one for overnight batters – I’m all about instant gratification).
You can serve your Banana Bread Pancakes with a generous knob of Vegan Butter and lashings of Maple or Golden Syrup. This time I chose Sugar Free Maple Syrup because you know, health. You can even make a huge batch of this pancake recipe, cook them and then freeze them between sheets of parchment paper in an air-tight container in the freezer. Scroll down for the full recipe and may the pancake Gods be with you always.
Vegan Banana Pancakes
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar you can use Coconut Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon optional
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 medium Bananas over-ripe is best
- 1 cup Almond Milk or any milk of choice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- In a large bowl, sieve Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Cinnamon and Salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add Walnuts to the dry mixture.
- In another bowl, mash your Bananas. Once mashed, add Almond Milk, Vanilla and Melted Butter. Whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour your wet mixture in.
- Stir until just combined (don't over mix).
- Heat a lightly oiled non-stick skillet and cook 1/4 cup of batter at a time. Flip pancakes when bubbles start to form on the surface and continue to cook for 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Repeat with remaining batter and serve with Maple Syrup, Vegan Butter and more sliced Banana and Walnuts.