This black bean and corn salad is full of bold flavors that will leave you feeling satisfied. This vegan salad is high in protein, and healthy fats yet simple to make.
It baffles me when someone says salads are boring.
We regularly enjoy them here, including soba noodle salad, a vegan pasta salad, and this black bean corn salad.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
Why this recipe works
- Simple. This salad takes seconds to prepare and can feed a crowd (or one!)
- Healthy. Packed with protein and fiber, this dish is clean eating at its finest.
- Loved by everyone. Even the picky eaters will love the combined flavor of black beans and corn.
What I love most about this black bean and corn salad is that it is great with almost everything, or can be enjoyed as a meal in itself!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this hearty salad:
- Black beans. Use canned or freshly cooked beans.
- Corn kernels. Both frozen and fresh corn kernels will work.
- Avocado. Slice up into small pieces for extra creaminess and healthy fats.
- Cherry tomatoes. For extra color and flavor.
- Red onion. Finely chopped.
- Limes. Adds a tangy and balanced flavor.
- Spices. Cayenne pepper, cumin, and coriander.
- Garlic. Minced.
- Maple syrup. Adds a sweet element to the salad.
- Salt. To taste.
How to make black bean and corn salad
This recipe comes together in seconds; make the salad and make the dressing. That is it!
Step 1: Mix the salad ingredients
In a large bowl, add all the salad ingredients, including black beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and chopped cilantro.
Step 2: Prepare the dressing
Take another bowl, and mix all the dressing ingredients, such as limes, cayenne pepper, garlic, cumin, etc.
Step 3: Mix everything
Combine the dressing with the salad mixture and check the seasonings if they need to be adjusted after mixing.
Don’t want to get bored with the same flavor of black bean and corn salad? Here are some delicious flavor variations that you can try:
- Spice it up. You can add some spice by adding Jalapeno or any other seasoning.
- Alter the beans. Although it’s a black bean salad, you can replace the black beans with chickpeas or others if you don’t like black beans.
- Use grilled corn. Grilled corn adds more flavor to the salad than regular cooked corn.
To store. Use airtight containers to store the leftover salad in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
To freeze. Avoid freezing the actual salad but the dressing can be frozen for up to two months.
More fresh salad recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
No, there is no need to cook canned beans as they have already been soaked and boiled.
Yes, you can freeze mixed bean salad for months, provided they are stored in an airtight container.
Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Corn Kernels
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 1 large Avocado diced
- 1/2 large Red Onion diced finely
- 1/3 cup Cilantro finely chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine Black Beans, Corn, Tomatoes, Avocado, Red Onion and chopped Cilantro. Gently mix all the ingredients together, and try to bruise the Avocado as little as possible.
- In another bowl, combine Lime Juice, Cayenne, Garlic, Cumin, Coriander, Maple Syrup and Salt/Pepper. Whisk well and add to your Black Bean mixture.
- Stir gently to distribute dressing and then check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Joan Frame says
Zel Allen says