These vegan cosmic brownies are a plant based take on the famous Little Debbie’s Cosmic brownies. No eggs and no dairy needed, they are simple, delicious, and satisfy your sweet tooth!
Vegan Cosmic Brownies
Growing up, I was obsessed with all the chocolate desserts. Like any kid out there, my mom would pack me snacks in my lunch box and when I was good, she’d pack a little treat. While I loved fruit roll ups and oreo cookies, my favorite things were the cosmic brownies.
What is a cosmic brownie?
Cosmic Brownies are one of the treats produced by the company Little Debby Snacks, along with other mini cakes and treats. They are delicious and sweet but unfortunately, not vegan! Luckily, you can easily make your own that are vegan AND better than anything out of a packet!
These brownies are super thick, fudgy, and topped with a rich vegan ganache. It’s perfect for those who love an extra dose of chocolate and the candy buttons on top take it to another level! They use simple ingredients and require very little prep. Honestly, the hard part is waiting for the ganache to firm up but I promise you, the results are worth it.
Ingredients to make vegan cosmic brownies
For the brownies
- Vegan chocolate– Any dairy free chocolate block can be used. I used Lindt 70%, as it is much cheaper than actual baking chocolate (and tastes better, too!).
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened and Dutch processed cocoa powder. Be sure to sift it first, to ensure there are no clumps throughout.
- Espresso powder– Just a pinch to bring out the chocolate flavor.
- Salt– Brings out the sweetness of all the other ingredients.
- Boiling water– A quick and easy way to melt the chocolate and create a glossy base.
- Coconut oil– Refined coconut oil. Gives the brownies the gorgeous crackly tops.
- Maple syrup– A little maple syrup to give the brownies an even more gooey center.
- Sugar– White or brown sugar can be used.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good brownie recipe.
- All purpose flour– Plain flour. Be sure to sift your flour first if you notice clumps in the package.
- Cornstarch– The secret ingredient to guarantee the edges to be extra chewy!
- Baking powder– Leavening agent to give it some rise and stability.
For the vegan chocolate ganache
- Vegan chocolate chips– We have used Enjoy Life chocolate chips and Sweet William and love them both.
- Coconut milk– Canned and full fat coconut milk.
- Vegan sprinkles OR candy buttons– Many grocery stores now have vegan sprinkles, but you can also get them online.
How do you make cosmic brownies?
Start by making your brownies. In a mixing bowl, add your chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, and salt, before pouring the boiling water on top. Whisk it very well until smooth and glossy. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, sugar, and vanilla extract, and whisk until smooth. Gently add in flour, cornstarch, and baking powder and whisk until thick and smooth.
Now, transfer the brownie batter into a lined 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool completely. Once cooled, prepare the ganache. Combine the chocolate chips and coconut milk into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Once the chocolate has melted, whisk together until smooth. Pour over the brownies, top with the sprinkles or candy buttons and refrigerate until firm.
Tips to make the best cosmic brownies
- Use Quality Cocoa – Go for a Dutch-processed cocoa powder, not a generic supermarket brand. The flavor really shines through so it is worth investing in a better quality one.
- Use Refined Coconut Oil – To avoid the coconut flavor! Unrefined coconut oil will make your brownies have a slight coconut flavor.
- Add A Touch of Cornstarch – If you want a really chewy brownie, then I suggest adding a touch of cornstarch to your batter (it’s included in my recipe). You can omit this, but your brownies will turn out more fudgy than they are chewy.
- Don’t Bother With Fancy Chocolate – When it comes to making the ganache for these brownies, don’t bother with fancy chocolate. Any dairy free chocolate can be used and you’d be surprised how many mainstream brands are naturally vegan.
- Be Patient with your Ganache – You must allow enough time for your ganache to set. If sliced too soon, it will seep over the brownies.
Storing and freezing brownies
- To store: Leftover brownies should be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the brownies in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
Vegan Cosmic Brownies
- 1 1/2 oz vegan chocolate Chocolate 45g (I used 90%)
- 6 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 30g
- 3/4 tsp Instant Espresso Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water 125g
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil 90g
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar 250g
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour 120g
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/3 cups vegan chocolate chips 220g
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk 110ml, canned
- 1/4 cup Rainbow Confetti Sprinkles or candy buttons
- Line a 8x8 inch baking pan with baking paper, and preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
- In a bowl, combine Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened Chocolate, Espresso Powder and Sea Salt. Pour boiling water over and whisk together until glossy. Add the coconut oil, syrup, sugar, and vanilla, and whisk together until glossy. Slowly add in the remaining ingredients until a thick batter remains.
- Transfer the batter into the lined baking pan and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until mostly cooked through.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Once cooled, add the ganache and top with candy buttons/sprinkles. Refrigerate until firm.
For the ganache
- Add the chocolate chips and canned coconut milk into a small saucepan over medium heat. Once the chocolate has melted, whisk into the coconut milk until smooth.