This vegan burrito bowl is a copycat version of Chipotles popular takeout dish! Rice topped with the most delicious filling and served with all the trimmings!
Vegan Burrito Bowl
If there is one cuisine I could eat for eternity- it would be Mexican food. There’s something for everyone and I can honestly say there is not one single dish that I don’t like. Because of my love for Mexican food, I always end up finding an excuse to visit Chipotle. Chipotle, for those who don’t know, is a Mexican fast food restaurant. It’s been my go to when the craving strikes, which is pretty much every week. Luckily, I’ve started making my own!
Ever since regularly going to Chipotle, I’ve been meaning to share a vegan burrito bowl recipe. It’s satisfied my cravings like no other and personally, it tastes even better than Chipotle. It takes minutes to prepare and is perfect for meal prep too. Now, these bowls may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you it is such a foolproof recipe.
No dairy and no eggs are needed, but you’d never tell. It’s full of delicious textures from the smooth guacamole to the crumbly filling. It’s spicy, tangy, and easily customizable to your favorite spice level.
The best thing about these burrito bowls is that they make the PERFECT meal prep. I love batch cooking this every few weeks and storing leftovers in the freezer for a quick grab-and-go meal!
Ingredients to make a vegan burrito bowl
For the filling
- Olive oil– To fry everything in. I love the extra flavor olive oil gives, so opted to use that.
- Onions and garlic- Extra flavor and a must for any good Mexican-inspired recipe.
- Bell peppers– Green is preferred, but red and yellow can also be used.
- Vegan ground meat– We used beyond meat beef crumbles, which look and taste exactly like ground beef. You can use chopped tofu or other mock meat instead.
- Tomato paste– Also known as tomato sauce.
- Taco seasoning– Store bought or you can make your own.
For the base
- Rice– Pre-cooked rice of choice. Microwave or leftover steamed rice can be used. Feel free to add some cilantro and lime through it, for a more authentic Chipotle flavor.
- Cherry tomatoes– To serve.
- Black beans– A must for any good burrito bowl.
- Salsa– I love hot and spicy salsa, but choose your favorite.
- Guacamole– What is any good Mexican dish without avocado?
How do you make a vegan burrito bowl?
Start by preparing your filling. Place a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the bell peppers and cook for a further two minutes. Add the crumbles and cook until no longer raw. Add the tomato paste and taco seasoning and cook for a further 5 minutes, until most of the tomato has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit until ready to use.
Now, prepare the base. Fill your bowls with the pre-cooked rice. Divide the cherry tomatoes and black beans evenly amongst the four bowls. Add the filling and top with salsa, guacamole, and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best vegetarian burrito bowl
- You can prepare the filling up to 1 week in advance. Simply simmer on the stovetop prior to topping the bowls.
- These burrito bowls are super customizable, so feel free to add other toppings, like vegan sour cream or even tofu bacon.
- For a spicy kick, add some cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the filling.
Storing and freezing vegan Mexican bowls
When storing and freezing the burrito bowls, you must keep the avocado separate, otherwise, it will spoil.
- To store: Burrito bowls should be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Cover the individual bowls and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the bowls for 30 seconds or reheat in a non-stick pan.
More vegan main course recipes to try
Watch how to make it
Vegan burrito bowls
- 2 cups Rice Pre Cooked
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 small White Onion diced
- 1/2 large Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1 cup vegan meat crumbles
- 2 tablespoons Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- 1 can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 cup vegan sour cream optional
- In a large non-stick pan, add the olive oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant. Add the bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add the meat crumbles and cook until no longer raw. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the filling from the heat and set aside.
- Pour the rice evenly amongst the four bowls. Add the chopped tomato and black beans. Distribute the filling evenly amongst the four bowls. Serve with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.