Ever since the height in popularity of Aquafaba (Chickpea Brine) based recipes, I am pretty sure that there is a hoard of Vegan Bakers out there who have an excess amount of Chickpeas hanging around, waiting to be turned into a culinary delight, but unfortunately only to end up in the deepest depths of the trash can. I am one of those people. I’ve recently been working on a new Vegan Macaron recipe, and instead of just letting my Chickpeas sit around sprouting new breeds mould once again, I decided to whip up this simple 15 Minute Turmeric Chickpea Curry with Cilantro Lime Rice.
This meal couldn’t be simpler to make. First off, we’ll start by making the delicious Vegan Cilantro Lime Rice recipe. PSA: If you’re one of those freaks who hates Cilantro (shame on you), then you’ll probably want to skip this step and just use normal White/Brown rice instead. If you’re a Cilantro lover, however, you’re in for a god damn treat! It’s so simple – into a pot goes White Rice, Water, Vegan Butter. Let that cook for about 15 minutes, and once your Rice is tender and fluffy, you’ll stir some Lime Juice, Lime Zest and Cilantro in. I absolutely love this rice recipe…zingy as fu*k!
Whilst your rice is cooking, you’ll tackle the Vegan Chickpea Curry recipe. Multitask, yo! All you have to do is sauté some finely sliced Leek in Olive Oil with Garlic, Minced Ginger and Turmeric. Once everything is nice and toasty, in goes Coconut Sugar, Coconut Milk, Chickpeas, Salt, Pepper and some Broccolini/Baby Broccoli. Since the Chickpeas out of a tin are already cooked, this Vegan Curry just needs to warm up over the stove for 10 minutes and it’s ready!
This Turmeric Chickpea Curry recipe goes super well with the Zingy Cilantro Lime Rice and is a fantastic way of using up all those Chickpeas that always seem to be hanging around. You can even fully customise the recipe and add whatever other Veggies you want to the curry (Butternut Squash would be delicious), so feel free to go crazy. Scroll down for the full recipe!
A delicious Quick Turmeric Chickpea Curry with Zingy Cilantro Lime Rice. Vegan, Gluten Free and ready in under 20 minutes.
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup White Rice (Long Grained)
- 2 teaspoons Vegan Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Lime Zest
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 a Leek, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Minced Ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk (Full-Fat and from a tin)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Coconut Sugar
- 2 cups Drained Chickpeas
- 1 bunch of Baby Broccoli/Broccolini
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- Chopped Cilantro, to serve
- First prepare your Cilantro Lime Rice. In a small saucepan, combine your Rice, Vegan Butter, Sea Salt and Water. Bring to a simmer and then pop the lid on and lower your heat all the way down. Allow to cook for 15 minutes and then let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before removing the lid and fluffing with a fork.
- Add Lime Zest, Lime Juice and Cilantro to the rice and mix gently to combine.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, prepare the Turmeric Chickpea Curry.
- In a saucepan, heat Olive Oil. Add sliced Leeks and fry for a minute till softened. Add Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric Powder, Paprika and Cayenne to the leeks. Fry for 2 minutes, or until spices are nice and toasted.
- Once spices are toasted, add Coconut Milk, Coconut Sugar and Drained Chickpeas to the pan. Add Baby Broccoli and then stir to combine everything.
- Cover pan with a lid and let cook for 10-12 minutes, or until Broccoli is tender.
- Season well with Salt and Pepper, and serve immediately with the Cilantro Lime Rice. Garnish with extra Cilantro and a lime wedge. Enjoy!