I have to be honest – living in Asia, London and then Australia, I’ve never ever tried Jambalaya. It’s just not something you’re able find around here (along with a sh!t ton of other stuff you can’t find here). We were watching Cutthroat Kitchen the other day and one of the dishes the chefs had to make was Cajun Jambalaya, so we thought, “Hey, why not make this for the blog!”. Thanks, Food Network. I adapted and mashed up multiple recipes I found online and made my very own vegan version of Cajun Jambalaya.
Loaded with Tomatoes, Celery, Onion, Cajun Seasoning, Paprika, Thyme, Sweet Peppers and Jalapenos, this Cajun Jambalaya is a perfect one pot meal. Since most Cajun Jambalaya recipes call for a medley of meat products, I figured I’d use some Vegan Sausages instead, just to add a little heartiness and umami to the dish.
For my Cajun Jambalaya, I use short grain rice, but feel free to use Brown Rice or any other type of rice you fancy. I like using short grained rice over long grained because it lends a really sticky, satisfying quality to the dish. If you try it out with long grained rice, let me know how it turns out!
Easy, inexpensive, all made in one pot in under an hour, this recipe is Vegan, Gluten Free (if you do not use any sausage since most Vegan Sausages are made from wheat… feel free to use any other alternative!) and most importantly – child labor and religion free . Scroll down for the full recipe for our Easy Cajun Jambalaya 🙂 P.S: We have been receiving some random trolling comments recently and we just want to say…. keep them coming! We love it! 😀 Ciao x
Easy Cajun Jambalaya (Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 3 stalks of Celery diced
- 1 yellow Onion diced
- 5 mini Red/Yellow/Orange Peppers diced
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers diced (use less/more according to taste)
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 4 Vegan Sausages sliced into chucks
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 1 14 oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 cups Short Grained Rice
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped Parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat canola oil and sautee celery, onion, peppers, jalapeno peppers and garlic for 5 minutes or till softened.
- Once softened, add vegan sausage chunks, hot sauce, crushed tomatoes, cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and thyme into pan and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Once tomatoes start simmering, add rice, vegetable stock, coconut sugar, salt and pepper to the pan. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pan with lid and let rice simmer for 40 minutes on a very low heat.
- After 40 minutes, turn off heat, uncover the pan and stir well to mix all ingredients together evenly.
- Mix in chopped parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
We used mini sweet peppers, but if you can't find those, normal Red and Yellow Peppers will suffice.