This vegan cream cheese is delicious, rich, and creamy. Made with just 1 ingredient, you’ll never use store-bought cream cheese ever again!
Since becoming vegan, I’ve started to make my own pantry basics instead of forking out tons of money for them.
We’ve done vegan sour cream and vegan butter, and now we have this glorious vegan cream cheese.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
What is vegan cream cheese?
It’s a dairy-free alternative to standard cream cheese. It can be used as a spread, in baking, or even eaten on its own.
We make our own because it’s:
- Quick. It takes hardly 5 minutes to prepare this.
- Just 1 ingredient. Seriously, your mind will be blown that a simple tub of yogurt can be transformed into thick cream cheese.
- Affordable. Packaged vegan cream cheese is almost twice the price of a dairy blend, and is very hard to find. This version is cheaper than both of them!
What I love about this recipe is just how much it tastes like actual cream cheese! I love to spread it on a bagel or even use it in my homemade vegan cheesecakes!
As we mentioned earlier, there is just one ingredient needed. Choose a vegan yogurt that has no added sugar in it.
- Vegan coconut yogurt. Plant-based alternative to dairy yogurt.
How to make vegan cream cheese
This recipe is very simple and mostly hands- off.
Step 1: Prepare your filter
Place a strainer over a bowl before laying a coffee filter or cheesecloth on it that will separate the watery content and the yogurt. Now you have your filtration unit ready.
Step 2: Add yogurt and filter
Add your vegan yogurt into the filter/cheesecloth and let it filter for 2-3 hours, or until the liquid has been removed and is now drained in the bowl.
Step 3: Remove the cream cheese and refrigerate
With the water drained, lift up the cheesecloth from the strainer and empty the creamy yogurt cheese content into a container you want to store it in.
Like commercial cream cheese, it’s super easy to change up the flavor for some variety. Here are some ideas:
- Add Cashews. Blend through 1/2 cup of soaked cashews for an even richer flavor and texture.
- Use flavored yogurt. Use blueberry or strawberry yogurt for fruit-flavored cream cheese.
- Add Vinegar. Vinegar will give it that signature acidic taste.
How long does vegan cream cheese last?
When stored in airtight containers and jars, this will last for up to a week.
Recipes to use this cream cheese
- Raspberry white chocolate cake
- Matcha cheesecake
- Potato waffles
- Vegan carrot cake
- Vegan banana bread
Frequently asked questions
It’s not vegan friendly because it contains milk-based ingredients.
The best options include miyoko’s dairy and Kite Hill.
There are tons of brands, including Daiya, Miyoko’s, and Kite Hill.
Vegan Cream Cheese (1 Ingredient!)
- 1 cup vegan yogurt coconut or plain soy yogurt
- Place a coffee filter or cheesecloth over a small bowl.
- Transfer the yogurt into it and let it sit at room temperature for 2-3 hours, or until the liquid has seeped from the yogurt into the bowl.
- Discard the liquid and transfer the thick yogurt into a sealable container and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours, to thicken.