These sweet potato fries are perfectly seasoned, crispy, and made using simple ingredients. Ready in minutes, enjoy them as an appetizer, snack, or side dish!
If you enjoy our polenta fries, you’ll no doubt love our OG classic, the crispy baked sweet potato fries.
Why this recipe works
- Quick and easy. Slice, season, and bake; that’s all you have to do.
- Healthy. Sweet potatoes are healthier due to their high fiber content and low glycemic index. These fries are also baked, not fried.
- Easy cleanup. Baking the fries creates less mess than deep frying; cleaning up after cooking is easier.
What I love about this recipe is just how crispy and flavorful the fries are. A secret trick guarantees the fries are always crispy, and the spice mix takes them to another level!
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
This recipe calls for very basic pantry staple seasonings and potatoes. Here is what you’ll need:
For sweet potato fries
- Sweet potatoes. Cut into fries of equal thickness.
- Vegetable oil. You can also use Olive oil.
- Spices. Garam masala, garlic powder, coriander, and cumin.
- Salt. To taste.
For cashew sauce
- Cashews. Raw
- Water. As required.
- Apple cider vinegar. For tangy flavor.
- Salt. To taste.
- Garlic. Minced.
- Parsley. To season.
How to make sweet potato fries
In just five easy steps, your sweet potato fries will be ready to enjoy!
Step 1: Preheat the oven
Preheat your oven to 200 C.
Step 2: Season sweet potato fries
Add sweet potato fries, oil, and spices to a large bowl. Mix well until thoroughly seasoned.
Step 3: Bake the sweet potato fries
Transfer the seasoned sweet potato fries to a baking tray and bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden. Flip the fries halfway through to keep from sticking.
Step 4:Prepare cashew sauce
Add all sauce ingredients, except parsley, to a blender and blend. Once smooth, add parsley and blend till it is chopped.
Step 5: Serve
Serve the fries on a platter with cashew sauce on the side.
Can I air fry these?
Yes, you can easily air fry these. Make sure to preheat your air fryer to 200C/ 400F and grease your air fryer basket before adding the fries. Now cook for 15 minutes, flipping midway to cook evenly.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Cut your fries to even thickness to avoid over or under-cooking.
- Make sure you align the fries with some space on the baking tray to keep them from sticking to one another,
- Let the fries sit out for no more than 5 minutes to enjoy the best crispy texture.
To store. In an air-tight container, you can refrigerate these fries for up to 3 days.
To freeze. Store in air-tight containers or freezer bags and remove excess air before freezing for up to 4 months.
To reheat. Thaw and defrost in your microwave till warmed to desire.
More potato recipes to try
- Potato waffles
- Potato wedges
- Lemon garlic roasted potatoes
- Hasselback potatoes
- Sweet potato sausage rolls
Frequently asked questions
The sweet potato option boasts more nutritional benefits than regular fried potatoes. They are high in vitamin A and pack in more fiber, too.
If you cook too many fries at once or let them overlap one another, you risk them remaining limp and soggy.
If you’d like to fry them instead of baking them, add them to a deep pan of hot oil and fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes cut into fries (or the equivalent of frozen)
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt to taste
Garlic Parsley Cashew Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Minced
- 1/4 cup Parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. In a large bowl, combine Sweet Potato with oil and spices. Toss to evenly coat and place in a single row on a baking tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until sweet potato fries are tender. Halfway through baking, give it a good toss, so all sides of your fries end up crispy.
- To make Garlic Parsley Cashew sauce, combine all ingredients except parsley in a blender and blend till smooth. Finally, add parsley and pulse till it is chopped into little bits.