These vegan brownies are so gooey and fudgy, they truly are better than boxed mixes! Made with simple ingredients, they have gorgeous crinkly tops and chewy edges.
When it comes to classic vegan desserts, my favorite recipes to make are chocolate cupcakes, blondies, and these easy vegan brownies.
FREE EBOOK SERIES! 5 SECRETS FOR FOOLPROOF VEGAN DESERTS
If I could pick one dessert to eat for the rest of my life, it would be brownies. Since going vegan, I’ve struggled to find a good vegan brownie recipe that tasted like the ones I grew up with. Most of them were too cakey, some were too fudgy (to the point that you couldn’t even pick them up) and some were just downright nasty!
As such, I made it a personal mission to create vegan brownies that tasted like boxed mix brownies. After multiple attempts and getting feedback from all my friends, I have finally perfected them.
Now, these truly are the BEST vegan brownies you’ll ever make and eat. They use simple ingredients- No flax eggs, chia eggs, or any crazy to find ingredients. They are gooey, fudgy, and have gorgeous crinkly tops. I love bringing these brownies around to dinner parties and events because NO ONE believes me when I say that they are vegan!
How to make the best vegan brownies
- Cocoa powder– Unsweetened and Dutch processed cocoa powder. For richer brownies, you can use dark cocoa powder.
- Vegan chocolate– Your favorite vegan chocolate bar, chopped into bite sized pieces. Lindt 70% or higher are great options.
- Espresso powder– Just a touch to intensify the chocolate flavor. You can also use instant coffee powder or omit it completely.
- Salt– brings out the sweetness of all the other ingredients.
- Boiling water– Poured over the chocolate ingredients to create a very thin syrup.
- Coconut oil– Melted coconut oil.
- Sugar– I used white sugar, but any granulated sweetener can be used.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good brownie or blondie.
- All purpose flour– Also known as plain flour. Sift your flour prior to adding it to the mixture, to ensure there are no clumps throughout.
- Baking powder– Gives some rise and structure to the brownies.
- Vegan chocolate– To give extra mouthfuls of chocolate throughout.
Start by adding your cocoa powder, chocolate, espresso powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Next, pour your hot water over it and whisk very well, until smooth and glossy. Add the coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla extract and whisk well. Gently add in the all purpose flour and baking powder, and mix until just combined. Finally, fold through the chocolate chips at the end.
Now, transfer the brownie batter into a lined 8 x 8-inch pan. Bake the brownies for 22-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely, before slicing and serving.
Tips to make the best vegan chocolate brownies
- Do not overbake the brownies, as they continue to cook as they are cooling down.
- When mixing the batter, do it very slowly and gently, so the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Use good quality vegan chocolate bars, like Lindt or Enjoy life. Avoid using vegan chocolate chips as they often keep their shape and don’t melt as well.
- Use a slightly wet, sharp knife to slice the brownies.
- These brownies are even better the next day. The chocolate flavor intensifies and they become extra fudgy.
Storing and freezing brownies
- To store: Brownies will keep at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 1 week. Store them in the refrigerator if you’d like them to keep longer (but doubt it will last that long!).
- To freeze: Place brownies in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More vegan dessert recipes to try
Watch how to make it
- 1 1/2 oz vegan Chocolate 45 grams, I used 90%
- 6 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 tsp Instant Espresso Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water 125 grams
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil 80 grams, melted
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar 250 grams
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 oz Dark Chocolate 90 grams, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup Walnuts chopped
- Line an 8x8 inch baking tray with baking paper, and preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
- In a bowl, combine Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened Chocolate, Espresso Powder, and Sea Salt. Pour boiling water over and whisk until you achieve a smooth and silky chocolate.
- Add Coconut Oil, Sugar, and Vanilla to the mixture and whisk to combine. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Once cooled, add Flour and Baking Powder to the mixture and whisk till smooth. Fold in Dark Chocolate Chunks and Walnuts.
- Pour batter into the lined pan and bake for 22-25 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool completely, before slicing and serving.
AYELET BRUN says
Andrea Maronyan says